UK Releases

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

UK Releases

Postby trevor826 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:18 am

Once again all the major players release their DVD's in the same week just to be a pain, these are the releases availabe from my local rental shop 22nd August.

Tiresia (2003) - Bertrand Bonello - Review to follow.

Qui a tu Bambi? (2003) - Gilles Marchand - Review to follow.

Twentynine Palms (2003) - Bruno Dumont - Review to follow.

Hukkle (2002) - Gyrgy Plfi - I won't be reviewing it because I thought the film was pretty shabby.

Arakimentari (2004) - Travis Klose - Review to follow.

Zivot je cudo (2004) Life is a Miracle - Emir Kusturica - Review to follow.

Gegen die Wand (2004) Head On - Fatih Akin - Review to follow.

Scandal - Joseon namnyeo sangyeoljisa (2003) Untold Scandal - Je-yong Lee - No review as I have a R3 import copy.

Palwolui Christmas (199 Christmas in August Review link - Jin-ho Hur

Nae maeumui punggeum (199 The Harmonium in My Memory Review link - Young-jae Lee

Bodigaado Kiba (1973) Bodyguard Kiba - Tatsuichi Takamori

And a US film - Maria Full of Grace (2004) - Joshua Marston

I know there are other releases as well on the 22nd including Kuroneko and Onibaba, should be one hell of a week.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Re: UK Releases

Postby trevor826 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:44 am

12/09/05

Te doy mis ojos (2003) Take My Eyes - Review to follow.
Private (2004) - Review to follow.
Los Debutantes (2003) - Review to follow.
Arven (2003) Inheritance - Review to follow.

It's tough trying to get the time to do all these so please be a little patient.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:47 am

I've noticed the release pattern also and it doesn't quite make sense. I think there's another batch coming in a couple of weeks with a lot of French films (from Pathe, I think).

Looking forward to your take on Private which I haven't seen but want to. I'm sure it's better than Amos Gitai's Free Zone which was by far the worst of the 4 subpar films I saw in Toronto today. It should've been named "Disaster Zone."

I have seen Arven and Take My Eyes.
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:08 am

It's madness, I've just checked on the Pathe releases and although there are some much needed releases (although unfortunately nothing I haven't seen) the timing is awful. This is the same date that Tartan and Artificial Eye as well as some of the smaller distributors use for their releases, the worst thing is no matter how good the release are, the companies will all suffer from rentals and especially sales.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:58 am

Another crushing week of dvd releases in the UK, our local rental shop has 17 foreign films and that doesn't include the 10 Pathe releases (I have no idea what's happening with them).

I'll list them as I go through them, first up are:

Choses Secrtes (2002) - Jean-Claude Brisseau
Novo (2002) - Jean-Pierre Limosin

Comments will be done as soon as I have seen them, since they're rented that should be very soon.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:25 am

Le Chiavi Di Casa (The Keys to the House - Italy 2004) released in the UK by Artificial Eye. For my comments on the film use this link:

The Keys to the House comments.

As for extras, it's certainly not short of them. There's a 40+ minute making of, cast interviews, deleted scenes and more.

A quality disc overall as we've come to expect from Artificial Eye.

--------------------------------------------------------

Torremolinos 73 - (Spain 2003) Released in the UK by Tartan Video.

Link to my comments:

Torremolinos 73, my comments.

The extras include a half hour documentary that assures us that there is more than an element of truth to the story. I have no idea if this is correct or just a clever ruse as a set up for the film itself, either way its interesting and entertaining.

Other extras include TV spots and trailers.

A very enjoyable film with better than average extras.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:13 pm

Bad news for us renters in the UK, both of the major rental outlets have severely cut down on their foreign films. Whereas normally we've had around 10-15 rentals a month with at least 6-10 around about the 20th, this month they have only stocked about 6 and no releases from the big week.

I can't speak for the UK as a whole but for this area which has a large student population it's a big mistake. The foreign film sections have done really well and considering there is no seperate rental only release (which are always exhorbitently priced) for the majority of the films, they are cutting off a good portion of their profits.

Perhaps if the store managers had more of a say things would be different but as it stands, were pretty much f%@ked.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:52 pm

A couple of dvd giveaways in todays newspapers:

The Times - Alfred Hitchcock's "Rebecca."

The Independent - Daniel Vigne's "The Return of Martin Guerre."

Not bad for virtually nothing.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:51 pm

Nice!
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:50 pm

The week before they gave away "Like Water for Chocolate" and "Notorious", hopefully there'll be even more next week.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Next

Return to Film Talk