UK Releases

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: UK Releases

Postby trevor826 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:18 am

Korean ghost story "Whispering Corridors" finally gets a release, interesting because it predates the likes of "Ring" and "The Eye" so none of the flash visuals or editing, slow paced and a serious indictment of the Korean education system.

Full comments will follow very soon, I'm just wondering if it will live up to my memory of it as it's quite a while since I last saw it.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:20 pm

Recent releases from Artificial Eye, "Kings and Queen" which I've just rented and will comment on plus "Moolade" which I seem doomed not to see as none of the rental shops have it and I don't want to buy it blind, unless I can get hold of it at a very good price.

Cheers Trev.

I can't believe it, put on Kings and Queen to watch only to realise I'd seen it a few months ago in the cinema, I must be losing the plot. I'm surprised there are no reviews for it on site, I'm sure a few of us have seen it, hengcs, arsaib4, wpqx?
trevor826

Postby hengcs » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:16 am

Hmm,
I am sure we have watched it.
I guess it was deleted in June ...

So, let's write it again ...
hee hee
hengcs

Postby trevor826 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:19 pm

Confirmed releases for 12/05/05.

Whisky (2004) - Juan Pablo Rebella, Pablo Stoll, comedy from Uruguay, Artificial Eye.

Memento Mori (1999) - Tae-Yong Kim, Kyu-Dong Min, link to my
comments, Tartan video.

Intrus, L' (The Intruder 2004) - Claire Denis, I've been looking forward to this one, Tartan video.

I'm sure there are other releases but these are the ones I've actually seen so far.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:44 pm

Quite a quiet month for World cinema dvd releases, once again the major players all release in the same week which of course leaves the rest of the month quite empty.

Im especially pleased to see Innocence released, it was in the local Art-house cinema recently but due to the freezing weather affecting my arthritis, I had to give it a miss.

Ashura - Yojiro Takita * comments to follow.
Assassination - Masahiro Shinoda
Bear Cub - Miguel Albaladejo
Beautiful Boxer - Ekachai Uekrongtham * Comments Link
Innocence - Lucile Hadzihalilovic * Comments Link
R-Type - Kong Su-Chang Comments Link
Slow Motion (aka Sauve Qui Peut La Vie) - Jean-Luc Godard
Wishing Stairs Yun Jae-yeon *

* = Definitely available for rental.

Cheers Trev
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:41 pm

DVD Releases 20 Feb 2006

Aaltra - Dark comedy, not as anarchic as I was hoping.
Bicycle Thieves - Neorealist classic.
Fantomas - collection of five silent films.
Le Paltoquet - ?
Miracle In Milan - De Sica neorealist fantasy.
One Night In Mongkok - Comment Link
The Sun - Sokurov, highly regarded take on Hirohito and the downfall of Japan in WWII.
Twenty-Four Eyes - Japanese classic.
Vital - Comments Link

Needless to say I'll see whatever I can.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:56 am

Thanks, Trevor.

I mentioned The Sun is the last film seen thread. Just watched it at the cinematheque and it's wonderful, indeed. Vital and AAltra are out on DVD here. Will watch them soon.
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:45 am

The only definite immediate rentals are Vital, One Night in Mongkok and The Sun. Thankfully even though I've already seen the first two, they are ones I wish to see again and hopefully they'll have good extras, as for The Sun, it's another I'm very happy to see available.

The others may eventually turn up, after all Moolaade has only just made it into the public library and I've just managed to get hold of Godard's Slow Motion from there as well.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:22 am

I'd say that Feuillade's Fantomas also qualifies as an important release. Not sure what extra features are on the AE disc.
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:14 pm

Agreed on "Fantomas" but I knew this was very unlikely to be available for rental. Hopefully it should have good extras but they are very old films.

Just checked, extras include - Who is Fantomas? Introduction by Kim Newman.

Louis Feuillade biography.

Poster and Image gallery.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk