UK Releases

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: UK Releases

Postby trevor826 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:50 am

Giveaway in "The Independent" newspaper today, Claude Chabrol's "Le Boucher", can't go wrong.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:30 am

Well, print publications now seem to be really desperate. I'm waiting for the NY Times to start doing the same. (Enjoy it while you can.)
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:36 am

After numerous delays, Chabrol's The Bridesmaid also finally came out on DVD on the 27th.
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:55 pm

April 10

The Cremator (1968) - Juraj Herz
Day Of Wrath (1943) - Carl Theodor Dreyer
Gertrud (1964) - Carl Theodor Dreyer
Gojoe (2000) - Sogo Ishii
Love In Thoughts (2004) - Achim von Borries
My Neighbours The Yamadas (1999) - Isao Takahata
Whisper of the Heart (1995) - Yoshifumi Kondo *

April 17

Claude Chabrol (Box Set)
La Crmonie (1995) - Claude Chabrol *
Mon Amour ?
Night Of The Shooting Stars (1981) - Vittorio Taviani
Rien Ne Va Plus (1997) - Claude Chabrol

April 24

4 (Chetyre) (2005) - Ilya Khrjanovsky - Rental Release
A Bittersweet Life (2005) - Ji-woon Kim - Rental release
Arsene Lupin (2004) - Jean-Paul Salom
Blissfully Yours (2002) - Apichatpong Weerasethakul
The Cinematic Works
Come And See (1985) - Elem Klimov - Rental Release
The Double Life Of Veronique (1991) - Krzysztof Kieslowski - Rental Release
The Hidden Blade (2004) - Yji Yamada - Rental release
Hotel Du Nord (1938) - Marcel Carn
Night Of Truth (2004) - Fanta Rgina Nacro
Night Watch (2004) - Timur Bekmambetov - Rental release
Ozu - Vol. 3 - Tokyo Twilight / Equinox Flower / Good Morning
Sophie Scholl (2005) - Marc Rothemund - Rental release
Tickets (2005) - Abbas Kiarostami, Ken Loach, Ermanno Olmi

No need to say there are quite a few stand-out releases this month, though most of them are not available to rent yet.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:37 am

It was only a while ago that arsaib4 mentioned the Whicker Man dvd giveaway and I said there wasn't much call for films like that or Don't Look Now. Funnily enough, Don't Look Now is a giveaway in tomorrows Observer, weird huh!

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:59 am

Thanks for posting the list. It's good to see Second Run finally releasing Blissfully Yours; hopefully this will also inspire a U.S. company. I wonder which films are part of Chabrol's boxset... the two you mentioned or a couple of his earlier ones?
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:37 am

Sorry for the lack of info re: the Chabrol box set. I'm stuck with the T.V. internet at the moment but I'll do the best I can.

The set is released by Arrow films and contains all eight of the Chabrol films on their books -

Les Biches
La Femme Infidele
Que le Bete Meure
Le Boucher
Juste Avant la Nuit
Les Noces Rouge
Nada
Madame Bovary

The other releases are probably cashing i on the box set, unfortunately I can't check who the diributor is at the moment.

At least I can understand why Le Boucher was given away now, a bit of a teaser for the set.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:53 am

Great news for fans of classic Japanese cinema, Eureka are releasing Kwaidan in May.

Featuring in their Masters of Cinema range with a running time of 183 minutes, retaining the same high standards as the previous releases and containing some good extras:

A selection of original trailers

Promotional material gallery

New and improved optional English subtitles

Special 72-page illustrated book with reprints of Lafcadio Hearn's original ghost stories; a survey of the life and career of Masaki Kobayashi by Linda Hoaglund; and a wide-ranging interview with the filmmaker the last he ever gave.

Eureka have become the high quality company for classic dvd releases in the UK, their transfer of Onibaba (among others) has been rated as the best, I have great expectations for Kwaidan especially in this extended form.

Also due for release at the same time is a fully restored transfer of Satyajit Ray's Abhijan, again supplied with good extras:

Video interview with Professor Dilip Basu, director of the Ray FASC (20 mins)

Promotional material gallery

New and improved optional English subtitles

36-page full colour booklet with reprints of Ray's original production sketches; writing by Marie Seton, Waheeda Rehman, and Joseph Lindner.

I haven't seen Abhijan but it's great to see more of his films released, apparently this was his most popular film in Bengal and I for one am really looking forward to seeing it.

Cheers Trev.

Cheers Trev
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:09 pm

I'm not sure if you've already seen Blissfully Yours, but if possible, please check if the Second Run DVD features the edited or the unedited version? Thanks.
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:54 pm

I'm not sure if you've already seen Blissfully Yours, but if possible, please check if the Second Run DVD features the edited or the unedited version? Thanks.

All I can tell you (apart from the fact that I haven't had the pleasure of seeing it) is that the release date has been put back to May, according to the dvd details the running time is 122 m which taking the difference between ntsc and Pal into account would mean it is the unedited version.

But............... sorry there always seems to be a but, having checked the BBFC site, there is no evidence that it has been passed for certification and obviously until this happens, the dvd cannot be released.

I checked under the films name plus seperately under the directors name but got a nil result for Blissfully Yours at present.

I'll let you know if I find any further info.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk