Wierd

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Wierd

Postby jancso » Sun Jul 21, 2002 1:50 pm

The average rating for almost every highly-ranked Japanese film has been dropping a bunch these last few days.
jancso

Re: Wierd

Postby patsfan86 » Mon Jul 22, 2002 3:35 am

I've been away the past few weeks and this is totally strange. Having Seven Samurai and Rashomon not even in the top 25 is one thing, but to have them ranked below some of the films they are as of now is a crime. Someone(with more than one password) or some group of people who have recently found the website or discovered all these classic films certainly has something against some great entertainment.
patsfan86

Postby jancso » Mon Jul 22, 2002 10:47 am

And look at Japan in general: http://www.foreignfilms.com/top.asp?country_id=3

Not only have all of Kurosawa's movies dropped considerably (Dodes'kaden went from top of the 100 list to an 8.08 average!) but Woman of the Dunes has dropped by .50 and all of Mizoguchi's films have dropped immensely (Life of Oharu and Ugetsu have both dropped off the list when they were both near the middle of it before, and Sansho the Bailiff has gone from the top to the middle).
jancso

Postby patsfan86 » Tue Jul 23, 2002 2:05 am

At least we can have faith in the old saying that the cream always rises to the top. With the high number of votes alot of those movies have it may take twenty years, but they will find their way back to the proper places. It's just a crying shame that there is such a slanted opinion about some of the best visual works of art ever made. I have yet to see a couple of them, but they are high on my wish list and there is no doubt in my mind they will be as good as "most" of the voters on this site have stated.
patsfan86

Postby jancso » Tue Jul 23, 2002 1:34 pm

I think the staff should do something about it, but oh well. Maybe whichever idiot is doing this will go away.
jancso

Postby patsfan86 » Wed Jul 24, 2002 1:05 am

Was it just me, or was it odd that the drop of all those fantastic Japanese movies seemed to correspond with the arrival of several Ingmar Bergman films at the top of the chart. Don't get me wrong, I like the Bergman films I've seen and Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries deserve their lofty positions, but out of the blue it seemed as though 7 or 8 of the top 20 were Bergman films which is an inordinate amount for any director.
patsfan86

Postby patsfan86 » Wed Jul 24, 2002 1:11 am

I agree, hopefully whatever idiot is responsible will go away.
patsfan86

Postby john-5 » Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:06 pm

I've just mentioned the fall of Sansho the Bailiff and Seven Samurai elsewhere; glad i'm not alone in being upset by the strange demise of so many great Japanese films. Seems Bergman and Bunuel rule the roost now- and no, i've nothing against them either. Keep the faith, enlightened comrades.
john-5

Return to Film Talk