UK Releases

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: UK Releases

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:15 am

Mikio Naruse

MoC will release a box set on Nov 20th containing 3 Naruse films:

Repast (1951)

Sound Of The Mountain (1954)

Flowing (1956)

Special features will include an audio commentary on Sound Of The Mountain by Kent Jones and Phillip Lopate with audio discussions on Repast and Flowing.

Postby A » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:15 am

Hey, 3 Naruse films, released in what I suppose will be very good DVD editions. Don't suppose I will have the opportunity to see them in the upcoming future, but it's a good feeling to know that they exist somewhere out there, and it is possible to get a hold of them if one needs to.
Maybe more by Naruse will follow.
Is anyone familiar with these three films, btw.?

Postby trevor826 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:58 pm

Great news re: Naruse, looks like I won't have to think too much about what I'd like for Christmas.

Confirmed recent rentals:

C.R.A.Z.Y. Soda Pictures
Lemming Artificial Eye
Reincarnation Tartan
Three...Extremes Tartan
Quo Vadis Baby - Terra

A lot of good ones missing but there's always the chance one or two more may turn up.

Cheers Trev.

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:01 pm

I've seen Repast, but since it's been a while, I'll just post this MoC summary for it and the other two for now:

"Repast (1951) depicts the lives of common people, in this instance to capture the pungent atmosphere of fading love. Set shortly after World War II, and concerning a struggling marriage between salaryman Hatsunosuke (Ken Uehara) and his wife Michiyo (Setsuko Hara), it focuses on the emotional crisis of the bored housewife. The repetitive tedium of her domestic life is brought into focus by a visit from Hatsunosuke's niece, Satoko (Yukiko Shimazaki ) on whom Hatsunosuke lavishes much attention.

Adapted from a novel by Kawabata Yasunari, the first Japanese author to be awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature, Sound Of The Mountain (1954) is one of Naruse's best-known and most respected films, typifying his preferred genre of shomin-geki (films about the daily lives of ordinary people). Set in the ancient seaside town of Kamakura, Kawabata's home, the film depicts the increasingly close relationship between a childless young woman, Kikuko (Setsuko Hara), and her father-in-law, Shingo (So Yamamura), to whom she turns as her own marriage, to the neglectful and philandering Shuichi (Ken Uehara), disintegrates. The more Shuichi destroys his marriage, the closer Shingo and Kikuko become.

The third film, Flowing, directed in 1956 (the year that prostitution was outlawed in Japan), explores the inner workings of a changing world, as traditional geishas faced the impending decline of their hidden way of life and the looming spectre of prostitution. It depicts the story of a widow, Rika (Kinuyo Tanaka), who is forced to work for a living and becomes a maid in a struggling Tokyo geisha house, where Tsutayakko (Isuzu Yamada ), its proud mistress, tries to save the house from becoming either a restaurant or a brothel. It is through Rika, a surrogate for the viewer, that we are introduced to the various geishas, who drink and fight, worry over the lack of clients, and attempt to stave off imminent extinction."

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:31 am

*New filmed introduction by Jonathan Romney on Rivette and Paris nous appartient.
*Le Coup du berger (Rivette, 1957, 27 mins, English subtitles).
*Illustrated booklet with a review by Tom Milne; feature by Louis Marcorelles, originally published in Sight & Sound; director biography.

*New filmed introduction by Jonathan Romney on Rivette and Cline and Julie Go Boating.
*Toute la mmoire du monde (Alain Resnais, 1956, 20 mins, English subtitles).
*The Haunted Curiosity Shop (R.W. Paul, 1901, 2 mins, silent).
*Illustrated booklet including a review by Tom Milne; interviews with Dominique Labourier, Juliet Berto and Jacques Rivette; Susan Seidelman's reflections on her Rivette-inspired Desperately Seeking Susan; director biography.

Postby trevor826 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:07 pm

Sorry for the delay but here are the releases of interest for the remainder of September.

36 (aka Quai des Orfevres) - Olivier Marchal (Tartan video)

Offside - Jafar Panahi (Artificial Eye)

Le Plaisir - Max Ophuls (Second Sight)
Letter From An Unknown Woman Max Ophuls (Second Sight)
Madame De... Max Ophuls (Second Sight)
The Reckless Moment Max Ophuls (Second Sight)

Black Sun: The Nanking Massacre - Tun Fei Mou (Tartan video)
Blood And Bones - Chi To Hone - Yoichi Sai (Tartan video)
Cave of the Yellow Dog - Byambasuren Davaa (Tartan video)
The Idiots - (Collectors Edition) - Lars Von Trier (Tartan video)
Marebito - Takashi Shimizu (Tartan video)
Three Extremes 2 (Tartan video) It must be pointed out that this was made and released before "Three Extremes", it was originally known as Three, the title change is due to the success of "Three Extremes".

Time To Leave - Francois Ozon (Artificial Eye)

Celine And Julie Go Boating - Jacques Rivette (BFI)
Paris Nous Appartient - Jacques Rivette (BFI)

Cockles and Mussels aka Cote d'Azur - Crustaces et Coqillages - Olivier Ducastel (Peccadillo Pictures)

Lost Embrace - El Abrazo Partido - (Axiom)

Nazarin - Luis Bunuel (Yume)
Princess Raccoon - Seijun Suzuki (Yume)

Shoeshine - Sciuscia - Vittorio De Sica (Eureka MoC)

The Neo-Realist Collection - (Arrow Films)
Rome Open City
Bicycle Thieves
Miracle in Milan
Umberto D
I Vitteloni

Titles in bold are confirmed rentals.

Cheers Trev.

Postby trevor826 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:34 pm

Great news for Mizoguchi fans in the UK, Eureka MoC have a couple of releases lined up for 2007:

Street of Shame (1956)
Empress Yank Kwei Fei (1955)
Sansh day (1954)
The Woman of Rumour (1954)
Chikamatsu monogatari (1954)
Gion Festival Music (1953)
Ugetsu monogatari (1953)
Miss Oyu (1951)

Terrific news (certainly for John).

Cheers Trev.

Postby trevor826 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Almost forgot, Tartan Video are releasing a set of Bergman films - a 30 disc set!

I can't imagine many people getting that in their Christmas stocking somehow.

Cheers Trev.

Another quickie, over the last couple of weeks the better quality news papers have been giving more films away. First was The Independent with Rossellini's Neo-realist classic "Francesco Giullare di Dio" followed by The Times with terrific French animation "Belleville Rendez-vous" and tomorrow, one of the most gorgeous films ever made, Wong Kar Wai's "In the Mood for Love".

Let's hope this goes on and on.

Cheers Trev.

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:03 am

"Great news for Mizoguchi fans in the UK..."

And for those who own multi-system DVD players.
Though a few of the films you mentioned recently came out in France (with English subs). My post.

Postby trevor826 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:54 am

I'd imagine the Eureka MoC dvds will be very similar to the French releases. The one thing I am sure of based on the few dvds I have is that the standard will be the highest possible. Definitely one of those occasions where PAL shows its image superiority to ntsc.

Cheers Trev.

Return to Film Talk