UK Releases

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: UK Releases

Postby trevor826 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:45 am

Thank's arsaib4.

I should try and pick out the more interesting releases rather than just foreign films, after all there are some awful foreign releases but they still get listed.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:38 am

Your lists are more than fine.

Looking forward to your thoughts on Shanghai Dreams (I'm a little surprised that the DVD cover-art actually features "the red shoes" -- you'll obviously have a better idea after watching the film). Among other new releases, I hope that you get the opportunity to watch Lodge Kerrigan's Dardennes-esque Keane.
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:45 pm

I've no doubt that Keane will be available for rental, unfortunately I can't say the same for Shanghai Dreams. Three Times was one of many quality releases from 2006 that was totally ignored by the retal chains.

I think that only one of the films I've listed has much of a chance for rental release and that is Russian Dolls, things really have got that bad.

Will things improve in 2007? I sincerely doubt it.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:57 am

UK dvd releases Feb 2007

Feb 05

There are certainly a few re-releases during the first week of this short cold month, either with greatly reduced prices or (hopefully) better quality transfers:

Evil - Ondskan (2003) Directed by Mikael Hfstrm:
Reduced price, Metrodome. Based on a true story, I was unimpressed by the o.t.t. levels of sensationalist violence. I'm sure hengcs reviewed this but I couldn't find the link.

L`Appartement The Apartment (1996) Directed by Gilles Mimouni:
Previously distributed by Artificial Eye, re-released by Optimum, I would assume there would be improvements, maybe an anamorphic transfer but since I have the original release, I wont be rushing to purchase it.

Lovers Of The Arctic Circle Los Amantes del Crculo Polar (1998) Directed by Julio Medem:
Optimum take distribution duties again but this time theres plenty of scope for improvement from the original Tartan Video release, hopefully the subtitles in particular will be far clearer with this release.

Pusher (1996) Directed by Nikolas Winding Refn:
Well known Danish drug, crime drama, another cheap as chips re-release from Metrodome.

Somersault (2004) Directed by Cate Shortland:
Highly rated Aussie coming of age drama, with a unique feel and a stunning performance from Abbie Cornish. A worthy buy particularly at such a low price, distributed by Metrodome.

New releases:

Man Push Cart (2005) Directed by Ramin Bahrani Distributed by Altra Pictures.
Currently doing the art-house circuit, has anyone seen it yet?

Marronnier (2004) Directed by ? Kobayashi - Distributed by Terra.
Descibed as a Japanese Dolly Dearest. If that doesnt put you off, nothing will.

Nor Chor (2002) Directed by Manop Janjarasskul - Distributed by Terra.
Violent Thai prison drama, mediocre IMDB rating.

Volver (2006) Directed by Pedro Almodovar Distributed by Pathe.
Mixed reactions to this one, ranging from exuberance to indifference, whatever the opinion, Penelope Cruz is captivating.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:16 am

Feb 12

Re-releases:

Brotherhood Of The Wolf - Le Pacte des loups (2001)
Optimum regurgitate this strange piece of nonsense, some love it, safe to say I dont.

New releases

There appear to be more German releases this week than there probably were during the whole of 2006.

7 Virgins - 7 vrgenes (2005) Directed by Alberto Rodrguez Distributed by TLA Releasing.
Kids style drama from Spain?

The Architects Architekten (1990) Directed by Peter Kahane - Distributed by Network.

The Bow - Hwal (2005) Directed by Kim Ki-duk Distributed by Tartan Video.
Another film that has very mixed reviews, I was hoping itd receive a theatrical release but.

Carbide and Sorrel - Karbid Und Sauerampfer (1963) Directed by Frank Beyer - Distributed by Network.

Frostbite Frostbiten (2006) Directed by Anders Banke Distributed by Soda Pictures

Gleiwitz Case - Der Fall Gleiwitz (1961) Directed by Gerhard Klein - Distributed by Network.

Gypo (2005) Directed by Jan Dunn Distributed by Lions Gate.
Indie Brit dogme style film.

I Saw Ben Barka Get Killed - J`ai Vu Tuer Ben Barka (2005) Directed by Serge Le Pron/ Sad Smihi - Distributed by Artificial Eye.

My Wife Is A Gangster - Jopog Manura (2001) Directed by Cho Jin-gyu Distributed by Contender Entertainment.
Successful comedy drama that has spawned 2 sequels so far.

The Singing Ringing Tree - Das Singende Klingende Baumchen (1957) Directed by Francesco Stefani Distributed by Network.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:25 am

Feb 19

Truffaut, Truffaut and more Truffaut.

Bed And Board - Domicile Conjugal (1970) Directed by Franois Truffaut Distributed by Cinema Club.

Female Convict Scorpion - Jailhouse 41 - Joshuu sasori: Dai-41 zakkyo-b (1972) Directed by Shunya Ito Distributed by Eureka.
Japanese cult film, part of a series along with the previously released Female Prisoner #701: Scorpion.

A Gorgeous Girl Like Me - Une Belle Fille Comme Moi (1972) Directed by Franois Truffaut Distributed by Cinema Club.

Love On The Run - L`Amour En Fuite (1979) Directed by Franois Truffaut Distributed by Cinema Club.

My Way Home - Igy Jottem (1965) Directed by Mikls Jancs Distributed by Second Run

The Soft Skin - La Peau Douce (1964) Directed by Franois Truffaut Distributed by Cinema Club.

Stolen Kisses - Baisers Voles (1968) Directed by Franois Truffaut Distributed by Cinema Club.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:42 am

Feb 26

Re-releases

Branded to Kill - Koroshi no rakuin (1967) Directed by Seijun Suzuki Distributed by Yume.
Should be a far better transfer than the previous Second Sight release. Look's as though Yume have taken over distribution of the whole of Suzuki's oeuvre.

New releases

Chronos (1985) Directed by Ron Fricke Distributed by Second Sight
The directorial debut from the creator of "Baraka".

Dersu Uzala (1975) Directed by Akira Kurosawa Distributed by Artificial Eye
Understated classic that finally gets a deserved dvd release.

The Great Ecstasy Of Robert Carmichael (2005) Directed by Thomas Clay Distributed by Tartan Video.

Pier Paolo Pasolini Vol.1:
Accatone
Ro.Go.Pa.G
Love Meetings Distributed by Tartan Video.

Red Road (2006) Directed by Andrea Arnold Distributed by Drakes Avenue.
Well regarded indie pic, still doing the art-house circuit.

Requiem (2006) Directed by Hans-Christian Schmid - Distributed by Soda Pictures.
Highly regarded on site and will be my first theatrical screening of 2007.

Tout Va Bien - All Is Well (1972) Directed by Jean-Luc Godard/Jean-Pierre Gorin Distributed by Arrow Films.

I felt with the number of releases this month it would be easier to break it down week by week, I want to provide an improved listing including small comments and links where appropriate, it also gives me the opportunity to mention re-releases.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby A » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:57 pm

Thanks for the improved lists. Your comments will make it easier for me to decide if i want to import a film. I plan on regularly buying DVDs from other countries in 2007, so you will probably be very helpful to me.
A

Postby trevor826 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:06 pm

A, do you know anything about the German releases:

The Architects Architekten (1990)

Carbide and Sorrel - Karbid Und Sauerampfer (1963)

Gleiwitz Case - Der Fall Gleiwitz (1961)

The Singing Ringing Tree - Das Singende Klingende Baumchen (1957)

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:18 am

I'll let A explicate further, but Gerhard Klein's The Gleiwitz Case is one of the best DEFA films I've seen so far.
arsaib4

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk