Fassbinder films on DVD

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Fassbinder films on DVD

Postby Issus123 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:25 am

Any idea where to get the DVDs of the following?

1. Ali:Fear Eats the Soul
2. Martha
Issus123

Re: Fassbinder films on DVD

Postby Sara » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:06 pm

I rented "Ali" from Netflix. Also, believe it or not, it came on one of our tv channels (I forget which) and I taped it.

Sara
Sara

Postby A » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:21 am

Martha is on DVD in Germany, and you can get it via amazon.de (don`t know if it has english subs, though.)
Ali: fear eats soul is available on a double DVD (with optional italian soundtrack!) and some bonus material (short film, documentary, discussion with director and actress, etc.), also in germany and via amazon.de. It is said to be an excellent release regarding picture quality and bonus material.
And the best is that the film has optional english subtitles, which is a rarity on german DVDs!
A

Postby A » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:37 pm

Just watched "Ali: Fear eats soul" on DVD today, and it was a wonderful presentation from the Criterion Collection (R 1).
A double-DVD set, includes the remastered film, and amongst the great bonus features are three informative 25 minute interviews with actress Brigitte Mira, the editor of the film Thea Eymsz, and direcor Todd Haynes (Far from Heaven). Also included are a german short, and a BBC show from the 70s about "New German Cinema".
A

Postby wpqx » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:37 pm

Both are on DVD in the US. The Martha DVD is also well stocked, I believe it has a commentary, but just to warn you the film is seriously second rate Fassbinder. I got both films from dvdplanet.com so check them out.
wpqx

Postby peppajaa » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:57 pm

I saw Ali. . . not too long ago. It was an unusual film, but I really liked it. The woman, Emmi, was a fascinating character and the actress was superb. The male character, Ali, seemed a little wooden, but . . . . There are other Fassbinder films I liked much better. Fassbinder actually put in an appearance as the boyfriend of Emmi's daughter.
peppajaa

Postby A » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:52 pm

The main character is a bit wooden, because he is a stranger in the world he lives in. As a foreigner his German is very bad, and he doesn't really know how to behave in the new environment. I think the actor did a perfect job in this regard.
I also like the way Fassbinder plays with colors in this film - very reminiscent of Douglas Sirk.
Fass binder also acted from time to time, and his cameo is nothing unusual. Too bad he didn't act more regularly.
A

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:57 am

Berlin Alexanderplatz is scheduled to be released by Second Sight Films (U.K.) on Oct 22nd.
arsaib4

Return to Film Talk