New Chantal Akerman boxset in France

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

New Chantal Akerman boxset in France

Postby A » Fri May 04, 2007 8:33 am

It has English and Dutch subtitles.

Films include:

Hotel Monterey
Je tu il elle
Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du commerce, 1080 Bruxelles
News from home
Les rendez-vous d'Anna.

Sounds like a great set, and a perfect entry for anyone unfamiliar with her work
www.cineart.be/dvd/Fiche.cfm?id=1030
A

Re: New Chantal Akerman boxset in France

Postby arsaib4 » Mon May 07, 2007 4:11 am

Thanks for the info, A. But I haven't been able to confirm the availability of English subs on the French set; most indications are that it doesn't. The site you've linked is Belgian. It's possible that there's simply another set being released in Belgium at the same time.
arsaib4

Postby A » Mon May 07, 2007 12:21 pm

Yes, this could be the case. So it means you have to be on the lookout. I'm always careful if a DVD has subtitles when I buy it.
Thanks for the clarification, as I simply thought they added subs to the French version. But Akerman being a Belgian, it is fitting that the Belgian DVD should be the one to buy
A

Postby arsaib4 » Tue May 08, 2007 3:14 am

Absolutely. But I don't think that I've ever bought from a Belgian site. I'm going to wait and see if this prompts any activity on the home front.

A standalone DVD of Jeanne Dielman is also being released in France, but again, sans subs. I'm also looking forward to watching L-bas, a film you've rated very highly.
arsaib4

Postby A » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:58 am

L-bas (2005) was my introduction to Akerman, and a great experience. I remember sitting in the theater at the Berlinale and being completely engrossed by it, sucked into her world. It is a very personal and autobiographical film (but I suppose so are many of her works).
But many fellow viewers were bored or couldn't make much sense of it. It's a quite demanding film, but if you are able to get into it, a rewarding one.
I think the long takes and philosophical thoughts will be to your liking.
A

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:55 am

From what I've seen of her work, it's most definitely personal, autobiographical, intratextual, etc. Among her recent films, I think very highly of her 2002 documentary, From the Other Side, which deals with the subject of "illegal" immigration. L-bas will have to contend with it, but my hopes are high.
arsaib4

Return to Film Talk