A roundup of 2006

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: A roundup of 2006

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:38 pm

@#%$. I can't believe that I forgot to list The Cremator. That's the first thing that came to my mind today. Since I prefer not to edit annual lists (it's a moral issue), I'll add it with my list of box sets/compilations.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:52 am

Strange moral issue. I find annual lists are perfect for editing. At least when you see something new, and its just a listing of dvd's, unranked too. If I did make a similar list, I was quite impressed with the Cremator release same goes for Pialat's Van Gogh.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:58 am

Van Gogh didn't make it because its U.S. DVD was released this year and its U.K. DVD was released in 2005.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:37 am

Point taken, hence the reason why I haven't put together a list like this.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:44 am

And I don't blame you. I worked on this list for at least a couple of weeks. But if it helps someone discover a DVD/film that weren't aware of before, then I'd say that it was worth it.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:51 am

This is getting off subject, but Elvis rules.
wpqx

Postby A » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:17 pm

Are all of the DVDs you listed quality releases. I mean that not only is the film good, but presented in a great print, correct aspect ratio, uncut, with extras, etc.?
A

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:35 am

Not quite. And that's part of the reason why I added "most important" to the title. For example, the DVD of Mizoguchi's film is a substandard release, but right now it's the best and most affordable option available for non-Japanese speaking viewers. Also, the initial reels of The Second Circle seem to have been mishandled by the Soviet/Russian bureaus. Sokurov has reportedly worked with the restoration team but the results aren't that great (quite sad considering it's a 1990 film). But again, right now it is the only viable option.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:01 am

I didn't know that about Second Circle. I watched it and honestly wasn't too impressed.
wpqx

Postby A » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:29 pm

@arsaib

So you mean, they are just the best option if you want to purchase that particular film at the moment?
I'm asking, because I'm thinking of purchasing some this year.
A

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk