A roundup of 2006

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: A roundup of 2006

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:26 am

There are a few on the last that would perhaps qualify as being the best option available, but that criteria wasn't the primary or, in some cases, the only one. Actually, just about every DVD on the list could have its own little story. Needless to say, what remains constant is that I watched these particular DVD editions (that's why they qualified), even if I had seen the film on others before (ex. Tarr DVDs). Feel free to ask if you have a question about a particular one.
arsaib4

Postby A » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:22 pm

Ok, I'll pm you if I need more info.
A

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:24 am

DVD RELEASES (2006)

Here's the second part of my list of the Best/Most Important DVD Releases (2006) . DVDs of "new" films have been excluded.

Doubles/Sets/Box Sets/Compilations in no particular order:

Mikls Jancs Coffret 1 [Clavis - Fra]

Benot Jacquot Collection "2 films de" [Cahiers/Why Not - Fra]

Ral Ruiz x 2 [Facets - U.S.]

The Max Ophls Collection [Second Sight - U.K.]

Marlene Dietrich: The Glamour Collection (Various) [Universal - U.S.]

Ozu Volume Three [Tartan - U.K.]

Philippe Garrel Collection "2 films de" [Cahiers/Why Not - Fra]

Free Cinema: The Definitive Film Collection (Various) [BFI - U.K.]

3 films de Jean Renoir [Studio Canal - Fra]

Luc Moullet x 2 [Facets - U.S.]

The Japanese Masters Collection (Ozu & Mizoguchi) [AE - U.K.]

The Valerio Zurlini Box Set: The Early Masterpieces [NoShame - U.S.]

Eric Rohmer's Six Moral Tales [Criterion - U.S.]

Seijun Suzuki: Taisho Trilogy [Kino/Kimstim - U.S.]

Peter Watkins x 2 [NewYorker - U.S.]

Chantal Akerman Collection "2 films de" [Cahiers/Why Not - Fra]

Fantmas (Feuillade) [AE - U.K.]

Preston Sturges: The Filmmaker Collection (Universal - U.S.]

The Cremator (Herz) [Second Run - U.K.]

Full List of Single Film DVDs.
arsaib4

Postby A » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:57 pm

I recently got the Fantomas DVD by AE and the two Garrel films with english subs (La naissance de l'amour and Sauvage Innocence). Thanks for the info.
A

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:22 am

Great! I'm glad my list helped in some way. By now, Cahiers has released three different sets of Garrel films. The one you've bought was the first from a couple of years ago. I love both of those films.
arsaib4

Postby A » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:47 pm

I can't promise when i will decide to watch them though...
By now I have about 400 films on DVD/VHS/VCD at home that I haven't seen yet.
I also have the AE Van Gogh and a german DVD of Police
I believe the other two Garrel sets are without subs... correct me if I'm wrong.

I still have a bad feeling that I missed Garrel's "Le lit dans la vierge" at the Berlinale (I currently use my ticket for it as bookmark in King/Straub's "Black House" ).

I also finally have Les Vampires by Feuillade on DVD, so I guess along with the five Fantomas films this will end on my director's Week project. But I don't know if I will have time for Feuillade this year...
A

Postby wpqx » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:12 pm

My list of DVD's I haven't watched is probably around 60-70 right now, which isn't bad considering. Judex is available on DVD here, and with any luck I'll get to check that out, as my Feullade is still only Les Vampires.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:17 am

Now that nos amours has been released by Criterion, the focus should shift towards Police and the Palme d'Or winning Under the Sun of Satan, two other Pialat films from the 80's that aren't out on subtitled DVD and are practically OOP on vhs (a few others of course aren't even available in any format).

No, no subs on the other Garrel sets.
arsaib4

Postby A » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:27 pm

I guess i'm lucky that the German DVD of Police is out. But there are nor English subs - as usual only German. I was happy to see at least these two Garrel's were subtitled.
I think France, Germany and Japan are amongst the countries who release most of their films without english subs. That's really a shame.
A

Previous

Return to Film Talk