Japanese New Wave on DVD

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Japanese New Wave on DVD

Postby impossiblefunky » Wed May 31, 2006 1:34 am

Did ya get 'em yet? I'm curious as hell about a quality report.
impossiblefunky

Postby madhuban » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:46 am

@impossiblefunky

I'll order them a little later (perhaps mid July, if you can wait that long!) though for once I do have some money saved up. The reason being that my addiction is getting out of hand, and if the titles arrive, I cannot resist watching them (at this rate my doctoral dissertation would never get done ) To make matters worse, the film society is on an overkill and will be screening Tarr's "Damnation" and Anderson's "Songs From the Second Floor" in the feature section, and Yael's "Palestine Trilogy" and Mograbi's 'Avenge But One of My Two Eyes" in the non-fiction segment, next week. I'll be damned

M
madhuban

Postby wpqx » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:35 pm

I understand where Madhuban is coming from. I've gotten to the point where I'm averaging buying more than one dvd a day. I still have about 25 sitting here, and got three more over the last two days, plus two more rentals from Facets, and I got 4 DVD's coming from one company, and another 30 or so from dvdplanet. On top of all that I actually have another dozen or so waiting in a cart on yet another site, and damn Barnes and Nobel has a sale buy 2 get one free for dvd's, so yeah I have a habit of acquisition. It hasn't helped that I've worked two jobs every day this week, and still have several movies in theaters remaining to be seen. To my great relief I have one more week to catch Army of Shadows.

on a related note, I did get a VHS copy of The Insect Woman yesterday, so that will most likely be good enough, felt the need to get something from Immamura.
wpqx

Postby madhuban » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:42 pm

@wpqx

25+3+2+4+30+12=72!!! I actually counted, and am half-dead under the sheer weight of that information!
madhuban

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:09 am

Any updates?
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:12 pm

I have no idea what Madhuban was on, and I still haven't ordered anything, might check my source in the city to see if he picked any up.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:05 am

I bought Susumu's Inferno of First Love and I must say that the quality of the transfer is excellent!
arsaib4

Postby A » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:37 pm

Great News.
Maybe I'll be purchasing the Tarayama titles when I'll get my hands on some money.
Haven't heard of that film, yet arsaib.
I hope you'll write some comments when you've seen it.
A

Postby madhuban » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:47 pm

Sorry guys, I forgot that I was supposed to be the guinea pig! Never got around to ordering any titles because I am totally broke after submitting 5 bound volumes of my dissertation and clearing all the examination fees etc Patience is my mantra, you see

M
madhuban

Postby wpqx » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:56 am

poverty is no stranger to me, otherwise I'd have at least ordered The Ceremony.
wpqx

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk