Joint Security Area (Korea) (2000)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Joint Security Area (Korea) (2000)

Postby HipHopHoney07 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:42 pm

JSA (Joint Security Area) just came out on DVD. I checked out the trailer and it looks really interesting, its supposedly about Korean War conflicts. Has anyone seen it? I want to get a good opinion be fore buying. Thanks.
HipHopHoney07

Re: Joint Security Area (Korea) (2000)

Postby hengcs » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:14 pm

Hey,
I like the movie a lot. It has one of the better performances by Lee Byung Hun.

Noteworthy, do NOT expect it to be a film about battles, fights or gun shots (e.g., Taegukgi) ...
Instead, it is an intelligent movie about human relationships ... and a movie about "what actually happens" …
hengcs

Postby hengcs » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:25 pm

By the way, I believe quite a number of members here have watched it (i.e., if you want to wait for more reviews). Their comments used to be on the board before virus attack and major revamp.

By the way, I am not sure about the dubbed version.
I would prefer to hear the original Korean dialogues (which were very well delivered by the cast) and read the English subtitles. It does make a difference given that it is a "drama" about human relationships.
hengcs

Postby trevor826 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:59 pm

HipHopHoney07, don't know if you're in the UK but if you are the DVD is very good with some interesting extras, it's definitely worth a rental and has great moments.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby A » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:40 pm

Have seen the film, and it is an above average human drama, about the diffiulties of approach between North and South Korea, wrapped up as a detective story. I had too high expectations for it, as it is nothing special, but for an interesting drama with few clichees, you can go for it.
But certainly don't expect action or fast-paced cutting or anything escapist, as it is no oldboy
A

Postby nate » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:41 pm

I have the dvd of JSA and highly recommends this film to better understand the conflict of the North and South today.

I think the only flaw is this film is adding a little backstory with the female investigator.
nate

Postby hengcs » Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:52 pm

Hi HipHopHoney,

So, did you end up getting the DVD?
If yes, did you like the film?

hengcs
hengcs

Postby HipHopHoney07 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:13 pm

I have only heard very good things about this movie on this board and a couple others so I will definately be buying it. Someone recommended searching the internet for a good price so that is what I am curently doing. As soon as I watch it I will let you know what I though. I'm pretty sure its going to be something I will enjoy though
HipHopHoney07

Postby sfdavide » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:52 am

Another example of Asian movie making being superior to American films. This is a great film of four guys (two from South Korea and two from North Korea) who become friends during very tense times. Great performances from the four stars, Byung-hun Lee, Tae-wo Kim, Ha-kyun Shin and especially Kang-Lo Song. It is a very tense story of these four men who meet, drink and play games at the Demilitarized Zone. They come to realize that instead of "Comrade" they are "Brothers" until the tragic end. If this film was made in the US the ending would have been different. Tom Cruise or Leonardo DiCaprio would not have done what the actor did at the end of this film. I hope that an American director does not try to remake this one. I definitely recommend this film to anyone who love great film making
sfdavide

Return to Film Talk