Fu Zi (After This Our Exile) (2006) (Hong Kong)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Fu Zi (After This Our Exile) (2006) (Hong Kong)

Postby hengcs » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:54 am

Director: Patrick Tam
Cast: Aaron Kwok, Charlie Yeung, Ng King-to

The film has recently garnered the Best Film, Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor in the Golden Horse Award 2006 .

The official website
see
http://www.afterthisourexile.com/

Synopsis:
The Chinese title literally translates to "Father And Son". So, predictably, it is a film that revolves around the happenings of a father and his son (mainly in the second half) ... the first quarter or so primarily focuses on the couple ... and not the son ...

My thoughts:

-- The ending ... It has to be the ending ... Not to set your expectations too high, but I think it is one of those films that will linger in you becos of the ending ... Despite feeling occasionally long, the script does have some selling points ...

(i) definitely the realism of the lines delivered by aaron kwok (i.e., the father) ... it is so credible that we (at least asians) have heard our parents/adults uttered those lines before, sometimes it is so ironical, sometimes it is so paradoxical, sometimes it is so contradictory ... but they are all so real ...

(ii) characterization ... despite the existence of a "lousy" father ... he is not "totally" bad ... all the characters have "depth/realism" written to them ... in essence, humans are contradictory/complex/weird ... we may not always do what we mean ... and we may not always choose what we know is correct ...

with regards to acting, not only are the two award winners compelling, i thought charlie (i.e., the mother) also did a good job, or at least departs from her past roles ...

aaron (i.e., the father) ... great acting (also in part credited to the great lines given to him ... "great" means full of humanistic irony, but realistic)

Ng King-to (i.e., the kid) ... he only has more screen time in the second half ... in most scenes, he may come across as "plain" but that makes it realistic and highly credible as a typical kid (with little exaggerated expressions ... unlike many films that insist on kids exaggerated expressions) ... yup, he does have a few great scenes that may wrench your heart ...

(iii) despite some predictability, there are some "surprises" in the script ...

(iv) For those who are not aware, although it is a HK film, it is filmed in Malaysia ...

What could be better ...

-- some editing to improve the pacing ...
-- some scenes/soundtrack changes too abruptly
-- pardon my insolence, but in my very humble opinion, one or two of the really "minor/supporting cast" could be better ...

Conclusion:
Highly Recommended. This is a film whereby watching till the end does pay off ... Occasionally it does feel a bit long ... and I am not sure whether "mainstream" audience will like it as much ... nonetheless, it does script human nature and human relationship very well and very realistically (esp. those lines delivered by aaron, so part of the credit shld go to the script writer ... ha ha ha) ...

As usual, dont expect too much, and you will like it more ...
hengcs

Re: Fu Zi (After This Our Exile) (2006) (Hong Kong)

Postby hengcs » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:20 am

I forget to add ...
that sth may be lost in dubbing or subtitles ...

i.e., When the dialogues are in Cantonese, one would realize that they even spent the effort to script the language using Malaysian Cantonese (from their choice of words) ...
hengcs

Postby hengcs » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:00 am

Once again, congrats on its win at major categories at the 26th HK Film Awards yesterday

It also won the major awards at the Golden Horse

PS:
Reportedly, at the Golden Horse Award, the jury viewedd the 160 min version. The theatre and DVDs are unfortunately the 120 min version.

During his first award, at the Golden Horse, the young lead (Goum Ian Iskandar) was scared into tears by all the flashlights when he went backstage ... after all, he has never been exposed to all these media frenzy ... a rather nice kid indeed ... ... Somehow, occasionally, I have a feeling that a few kids in Hollywood (NOT all) are "too seasoned" and "polished" in the way they handle media/press and awards ... ... So, my votes go to this kid ... hee hee …
hengcs

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:46 am

"Reportedly, at the Golden Horse Award, the jury viewed the 160 min version. The theatre and DVDs are unfortunately the 120 min version."

I believe the HK DVD from Panorama which came out in February contained the 120 min version. But a Taiwanese version was released last week and it's reportedly the "Director's Cut."
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:20 am

Distributor Wanted.
arsaib4

Postby hengcs » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:50 am

Hi,
so, are you going to watch?
as for me, i have gotten the director's version ... but i have no time to rewatch it ... sigh
hengcs

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:51 am

Yup, will comment in a few days.
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:54 am

"(ii)characterization ... despite the existence of a "lousy" father ... he is not "totally" bad ... all the characters have "depth/realism" written to them ... in essence, humans are contradictory/complex/weird ... we may not always do what we mean ... and we may not always choose what we know is correct ..."

One has to dig down deep to find something for Aaron Kwok's character. Chris Chang said that "you'll hate him; but you'll also feel his pain." I'm not sure if I felt his pain that much since he primarily inflicted it upon himself. The multi-faceted Kwok is apparently quite popular back home. He was good in parts but I think a better actor was required to play this difficult, albeit one-dimentional, role.

"Ng King-to (i.e., the kid) ... he only has more screen time in the second half ... in most scenes, he may come across as "plain" but that makes it realistic and highly credible as a typical kid (with little exaggerated expressions ... unlike many films that insist on kids exaggerated expressions) ... yup, he does have a few great scenes that may wrench your heart ... "

I agree that the young boy was very good. I believe this was Goum Ian Iskander's (Ng King-to) first film.

"(iii) despite some predictability, there are some "surprises" in the script ..."

True. Also, the scenes set in the motel reminded me of 2046. I'm sure Mr. Tam is well familiar with that film.

"some editing to improve the pacing"

I agree. But speaking of editing, I was rather impressed with it during the torrid sex scenes.

"pardon my insolence, but in my very humble opinion, one or two of the really "minor/supporting cast" could be better ..."

Would you mind being more specific?

"When the dialogues are in Cantonese, one would realize that they even spent the effort to script the language using Malaysian Cantonese (from their choice of words) ..."

They did. Most seem to be satisfied with the Malay influenced Cantonese spoken in the film.

"Highly Recommended. This is a film whereby watching till the end does pay off ... Occasionally it does feel a bit long ... and I am not sure whether "mainstream" audience will like it as much ... nonetheless, it does script human nature and human relationship very well and very realistically (esp. those lines delivered by aaron, so part of the credit shld go to the script writer ... ha ha ha) ..."

There's much to like about After This Our Exile. It'd be criminal not to mention the contribution of the great DP Mark Lee (a Hou favorite whose name changes with just about every film). The way he incorporates light and its varied textures is second to none. Cinematography factors into why I think this is an above-average film.

Do you know the reason(s) behind Patrick Tam's absence?
arsaib4

Postby hengcs » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:46 am

I am glad you like the film ...

cos there r a number of pple who dont ...

Quote arsaib4,"Chris Chang said that "you'll hate him; but you'll also feel his pain." I'm not sure if I felt his pain that much since he primarily inflicted it upon himself. The multi-faceted Kwok is apparently quite popular back home. He was good in parts but I think a better actor was required to play this difficult, albeit one-dimentional, role."

well, Kwok was more popular as a singer/dancer in the 90s ... i cannot say that he is as huge an actor, nor as huge a singer now (but most pple have their ups and downs) ... anyway, he surprises many last year by winning the Best Actor for DIVERGENCE in the Golden Horse Award, and this year, making it two consecutve years.

with rgds to the character, put it this way ... the director originally approached Anthony Wong (yup, you have seen him in many movies) ... but he admittedly noted that, if he were to act, the father would come across as too much of a villain ... at least with Aaron's face and portrayal, most pple still feel that he likes the kid except that he always sent both of them down the wrong path ...

Quote arsaib4, "I agree that the young boy was very good. I believe this was Goum Ian Iskander's (Ng King-to) first film."

yes.

Quote hengcs, "pardon my insolence, but in my very humble opinion, one or two of the really "minor/supporting cast" could be better ..."
Quote arsaib4, "Would you mind being more specific?"

Hmmm ... I was talking abt Qin Hailu (I know she is famous and a good actress), somehow her role does not stick, despite a lot of screen time in the latter half; likewise, the few families that were intruded into, etc"

Quote arsaib4, "Do you know the reason(s) behind Patrick Tam's absence?"

I presume you mean in the NY screening?!
I am not sure. I guess you would have to email the organizers ...
hengcs

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:30 am

"Quote arsaib4, "Do you know the reason(s) behind Patrick Tam's absence?"
I presume you mean in the NY screening?!"

No, I'm referring to the fact that he didn't direct a film for 17 years. Though he did edited Wong's Days of Being Wild and Ashes of Time and To's Election in between.
arsaib4

Next

Return to Film Talk