Fu Zi (After This Our Exile) (2006) (Hong Kong)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Fu Zi (After This Our Exile) (2006) (Hong Kong)

Postby hengcs » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:07 pm

From this website (in Chinese),
click
culture.people.com.cn/GB/...59056.html

Somewhere near the end of the interview, it was noted that after fading off from the film industry about 17 years ago, Patrick Tam had gone to teach in a University in Malaysia, something related to filming.

He also mentioned that after this film, he would return to teaching (where his passion lies), instead of returning to direct the next film.
hengcs

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:12 am

Olaf Mller:

"[9th] editions retrospective, the oeuvre of Hong Kong New Wave master of masters Patrick Tam Kar Ming THANK YOU, UDINE [Far East Film Festival] occasioned by his comeback-monument Fu zi (After This Our Exile), probably expressed better than anything in recent memory what popular cinema actually means when it gets serious: a willingness to search for new ideas, a lust for contradictions, a passion for genre always helps! above all, a belief in the audience, its willingness to find out something new about itself. Tam, again and again, has worked the rules, of genre and of Modernism, at the same time in unusual harmonies, like few others were ever able to. Fu zi, now, finally strikes the perfect balance: an echt Cantonese father-and-son-melodrama gets told in a pragmatically modernist realism ending, consequently, in the kind of fury and despair earlier generations of Cantonese masters were afraid of: the house is not only divided, its razed to the ground."
arsaib4

Postby hengcs » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:24 am

I have said it several times, but I really think it is a good film ...
unfortunately, there are also numerous critics who do not like it ...
hengcs

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:15 am

If me, you, Chris Chang and Olaf Mller agree that it's a good film, then that's more than good enough.
arsaib4

Postby justindeimen » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:27 am

I've held off on it before, because I'm not sure whether I should get the Director's Cut or the theatrical cut. Any suggestions on which one was the better DVD release?
justindeimen

Postby hengcs » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:17 am

Hmmm ... unfortunately I have not watched the Director's version yet. Otherwise, I would advise.
hengcs

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:55 am

And I've only seen the Director's Cut, so I'm not in a position to offer a comparison. Also can't comment on the quality of any of the DVD releases because, as mentioned earlier, I caught a theatrical screening of the film. But since my post back in April in which I listed the running-times of the two then-available DVD versions, another 3-disc set from HK's Panorama has surfaced. Needless to say, it contains the Director's Cut like the Taiwanese DVD did, and it's reviewed here.

After This Our Exile came very close to cracking my 30 Best "Undistributed" Films list, which, if I may say so, contains more good films than in the years past. For the final available spot, I narrowed it down to this, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and The Counterfeiters, but I went with the Japanese anime for a variety of reasons, including the fact that it's the one which needs the most exposure. Sorry, Mr. Tam, but as you can see I'm still fully supporting your film.
arsaib4

Previous

Return to Film Talk