The Southerner and The River

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

The Southerner and The River

Postby jancso » Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:54 pm

These are two of Jean Renoir's best later films, in my opinion. What do you think of them?

Re: The Southerner and The River

Postby john-5 » Sun Aug 04, 2002 5:04 pm

I've not seen The Southerner, but i know the general opinion is that it's one of his better post-war efforts. The River i saw years ago, loved its gentle lyricism. Strangely unavailable on video in Britain, but i'd be delighted to see it again. Renoir shared his father's attraction to rivers- Partie de Campagne and Boudu Sauve des Eaux come to mind.

Postby jancso » Sun Aug 04, 2002 5:50 pm

The Southerner isn't quite as good as The River, but you should still see it. The River is nearly flawless in my opinion, although it is a little less interesting when it's focusing on the story/characters than when it's focusing on India. I'd be interested in hearing a more detailed opinion about it from you.

Postby gratefultiger » Fri Aug 09, 2002 12:01 am

right again jancso! the river is a magnificent film vastly underrated,the southener is his best hollywood film with some wonderful landscapes a love of the land & beautiful river he bucked the studio system to go outdoors &
shoot on location, a fine job he did too.

a qoute from renoir " goodbye mr zanuck i enjoyed working at 16th century fox"

Postby admin-2 » Fri Oct 18, 2002 12:46 pm

"The River" is pretty good, but the best film made from a Rumer Godden novel is Michael Powell's "Black Narcissus".

Return to Film Talk