Blind Mountain (Mang Shan) (2007) (China)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Blind Mountain (Mang Shan) (2007) (China)

Postby hengcs » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:45 am

Director: Li Yang
Cast: Huang Lu

Synopsis
A girl from the big city thought she was offered a prospective job in a rural area. Upon waking up, she realized that she had been sold as a bride ... What did the future lie for her? Would she be able to escape?

My Thoughts

For this film, it might be better for me to first articulate my "concerns/reservations" etc (or what could be better) before articulating what i liked ... yup, the film is worth crediting too ...

-- The topic is important. There are many girls who are victims. But it is important (albeit difficult) to separate the technical qualities of the film from its message. In a way, there are few surprises because some other films about human trafficking preceded this, except that the girls are mainly being prostituted rather than sold as brides (e.g., Lilya 4 ever; Justine, etc). So, the shock value might have decreased, and all that remained might be how well the director kept the tension, or crafted the characterization.

-- However, UNLIKE prior films, this film did have a few creditable differences ...
(i) The director did NOT opt for excessive violence and gore, but instead depicted how these brides were allowed to live and roam around, but never truly escaped ... every time the girl tried to escape, the audience were made to wonder whether she would succeed.
(ii) The director also tried to evoke some empathy (for the "abducting" family) by depicting their "plain/simple" desire to have a daughter-in-law so as to have a grandson. In a way, they have also been cheated (by the middleman) and have paid a huge some of money for the bride ...

(iii) The ending was realistic/good (i.e., thought provoking), and "human enough" (i.e., it depicted how different women would behave, weighing what mattered to them differently) ...

Conclusion
Recommended mainly for its importance (theme/message) rather than its plot ... The film also came across as very realistic and credible.
hengcs

Re: Blind Mountain (Mang Shan) (2007) (China)

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:21 pm

Lilya 4-Ever is rightfully considered as one of the most important and emotionally devastating films of this decade. I'd be surprised if Blind Mountain is quite as accomplished, but I'm looking forward to it.
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:17 am

Btw, how did you watch it? DVD?
arsaib4

Postby hengcs » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:26 am

It is not better than Lilya 4-Ever.
Also, it does not warrant that two or three levels of analysis.

yup, small screen.
that is why i wouldnt comment on the cinematography etc ...
hengcs

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:29 am

Also, it does not warrant that two or three levels of analysis.

I'm tough, but fair.
arsaib4

Postby hengcs » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:44 am

any thoughts?

by the way, his next film is also "Blind Something" (Mang Liu),
if I see the chinese character, I can translate what is that sth ...

* synopsis is rather full of spoilers *
click
http://www.haf.org.hk/haf/pdf/project08/se13.pdf
hengcs

Postby hengcs » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:53 am

"Blind Something" (Mang Liu)

Based on the Chinese character, it may be translated to Blind Flow
but it is anybody's guess till the official English title appears

According to this Chinese website
click
http://ent.sina.com.cn/m/c/2008-03-25/11291960163.shtml

-- this may be his LAST "blind" trilogy ... he claims that the first Blind Shaft is abt man, Blind Mountain is abt woman, and the next will be abt kids ...

-- he hopes to do a commercial film after this trilogy ...
hengcs

Return to Film Talk