The Most Distant Course (Zui Yao Yuan De Ju Li) (2007) (Taiwan)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

The Most Distant Course (Zui Yao Yuan De Ju Li) (2007) (Taiwan)

Postby hengcs » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:05 am

Director : Lin Jing-Jie Lin
Starring : Mo Tz-yi, Jia Siao-guo, Kwai Lunmei

The film garnered Critics' Week Award in Venice Film Festival 2007

Synopsis
The story revolves around three people ... a man who had just lost his job and girlfriend and was going around Taiwan to record different sounds, unique sounds, etc, so as to realize what he and his ex-girlfriend had wanted to embark on, a project known as "Formosa" ... a girl who kept receiving postal mails addressed to the former resident of her new apartment, and soon she sought solace in these sounds and recordings ... a man who was a psychiatrist, and he liked role playing ...

My Thoughts

-- It is definitely an art film, whereby the plot is less important than the experience itself ... As the audience is led through the life of these three people, you get to know more about them, learn about them, and feel for them ...

-- The sounds are what made the film slightly more interesting ... Somewhere in the film, it asks, can one really identify a place, or whatever simply based on its sounds?! hmmm ... food for thought ...

-- I think all the three casts carry their roles well ...

Conclusion
I cannot say all will like this film. However, you may appreciate a slightly different kind of film, at least one that focuses on collecting sounds ... Not a lot, but quite a number ... I thought it was a pity that they deleted the "chants" recording of a temple which they have collected (found in "deleted scenes") ... But I guess the director has his own reasons ...

PS:

From the Director:

When I wrote this screenplay in 2002, it was initially for one of my best friends, Chen Ming Tsai; to showcase his enormous talent. At the time I thought he was one of the top performers in Taiwan, and that it was a shame that he had never been given a chance to show his true worth. Therefore I decided to make a film specially written with him in mind.

In August 2003, just before pre-production started, he went for a walk on his own to Du-lan Bay in Taidong on the east coast of Taiwan, and ended his life.

In August 2006, I decided to finish this film no matter what, in order to realize a promise made to my good friend, to display the strength of will of a film creator and to break free from the depression then present in the Taiwanese film industry with a group of sincere and passionate filmmakers.

This film is about the predicament of being human, and the pursuit of meaning regardless of the price. I believe that this is indeed the most distant course which, nonetheless, will reach the deepest place of everyone's heart, through which one can reflect on and see the real self.
hengcs

Re: The Most Distant Course (Zui Yao Yuan De Ju Li) (2007) (Taiwan)

Postby hengcs » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:44 am

The poem (in Chinese)

?????????
?? ??????
?? ?????? ???????

?????????
?? ?????? ???????
?? ???? ???????

?????????
?? ???? ???????
?? ?????? ???????

?????????
?? ?????? ???????
?? ???? ???????

?????????
?? ???? ???????
?? ??????? ???????

?????????
?? ??????
?? ??????? ????????

?????????
?? ??????
?? ??????? ????????

?????????
?? ???????
?? ?????? ?????????

?????????
?? ???????
?? ???? ???????

?????????
????????
???? ???????
hengcs

Postby hengcs » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:56 am

The poem in English

The farthest distance in the world
IS NOT ... the distance between life and death ...
BUT ... I am standing in front of you ... yet you don't know I love you

IS NOT ... I am standing in front of you ... yet you don't know I love you
BUT ... loving you crazily ... yet I cannot tell you I love you

IS NOT ... loving you crazily ... yet I cannot tell you I love you
BUT ... yearning for you unbearably ... yet I can only bury it deeply in my heart

IS NOT ... yearning for you unbearably ... yet I can only bury it deeply in my heart
BUT ... we love each other ... yet we cannot be together ...

IS NOT ... we love each other ... yet we cannot be together ...
BUT ... we know true love conquers all ... yet we pretend not to care

IS NOT ... the distance between two trees
BUT ... the branches that grow from the same root ... yet they cannot depend on each other in the winds

IS NOT ... the branches cannot depend on each other
BUT ... two stars that gaze at each other ... yet there is no track of their meeting

IS NOT ... the track between two stars
BUT ... even if the tracks were to meet ... yet in a flicker, they are nowhere to be found

IS NOT ... the disappearance in a flicker
BUT ... even prior to meeting ... they are destined not to be together

IS ... the distance between fish and bird
One is in the sky ... the other is diving deeply in the ocean
hengcs

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:16 am

Very nice.
arsaib4

Return to Film Talk