Straub Huillet on DVD

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Straub Huillet on DVD

Postby wpqx » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:59 am

Class Relations has been released by Edition Filmmuseum in a well stocked double disc edition. This is the same company that put out the phenomenal all region Alexander Kluge films. I'm just pissed that I watched a very downgraded grainy print of this film, if I had known . . .

Product information is available here
wpqx

Re: Straub Huillet on DVD

Postby R6dw6C » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:34 pm

I didn't know you haven't known.

This DVD is almost half a year "old". A's anxious to buy it but he isn't rich either.

Meanwhile, there has been a new Straub-Huillet-Box-Set released in France which includes "Not Reconciled", "Machorka-Muff", "Introduction to Arnold Schoenberg's Accompaniment to a Cinematic Scene", "Moses and Aaron" and "From Today Until Tomorrow", all wonderfully transferred and unfortunately all only German with French Subtitles...

I don't know if I really want to see their films... There's a DVD-Copy of "History Lessons" lying on my desk which I tried to watch several weeks ago (while being a bit tired which didn't help...). It was unbearable. One of the most pretentious and aloof films I've seen so far. It brought my worst Godard-memories back to life. Hopefully, I'll make more out of it when I have another try...
Am I too poorly educated to receive this kind of filmmaking?! Sort of, I guess.
R6dw6C

Postby wpqx » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:48 am

I'd say see Not Reconciled first and foremost, it won me over and it's not that long so your attention span won't be a huge issue. I found some information about the French set but I didn't post it because of the lack of English subs.
wpqx

Postby R6dw6C » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:19 pm

Well, it wasn't my attention that kept me from watching "History Lessons" at its total length (I already got through much more static and difficult films), it was merely a mental barricade. Very often when I watch films like this one (often "essayistic" films of an explicit intellectual nature) I get totally disgusted by an aloof, bigheaded attitude which I think sometimes (in the worst cases) even has some kind of fascist character. The latter wasn't the case here but it really made me ill. I can't stand films which obviously try to avoid to cooperate with the viewer in any way or (worse) select their viewers by certain criterions- even if I'm still pleased with such a film personally (I still do like some of Godard's films...), I often can't get rid of the feeling that it's inhuman. Art should be humanistic, not cynical.

But I don't think of Jean-Marie Straub and Danièle Huillet as "evil" beings like Godard (the "Demon of Arthouse Cinema" he certainly is, imo) and looking forward to enter their work - I've read somewhere that "History Lessons" is one of their most challenging feature films, so it might has been not a good film to start.

Btw, when I posted this information, I thought of arsaib who understands French quite a bit (as far as I know). Also, A might be interested as he's such a big Fan of Straub / Huillet.
R6dw6C

Postby wpqx » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:09 pm

The information I'm sure is beneficial. Based on what you've said, I would probably not make any great effort to see Too Early, Too Late.
wpqx

Postby R6dw6C » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:05 pm

I've read some descriptions and that IMDb comment of "Too Early, too late" and it sounds as if it is very similar to "History Lessons".

Well, sometimes, you also need to grow older with such filmmakers. I still always use Antonioni as an example - when I was 14, I was bored to death by "Blow up", today, it's one of my 100 favourite films... Maybe I'll love Straub and Huillet when I'm 30?!
R6dw6C

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:34 am

arsaib4 appreciates the info but, as far as I know, he's just as financially challenged as the rest of you.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:42 am

It happens to the best of us, the economy isn't doing too well for anybody right now.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:51 pm

Speaking of Edition Filmmuseum, Borzage's The River was just released on a 2-disc set.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:07 pm

Here's hoping Seventh Heaven follows suit.
wpqx

Next

Return to Film Talk