In Love We Trust (Zuo You) (China) (2008)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

In Love We Trust (Zuo You) (China) (2008)

Postby hengcs » Sun May 18, 2008 3:28 am

Director: Wang Xiao Shuai

Cast: Liu Weiwei , Zhang Jiayi , Cheng Taisheng , Yu Nan

The film garnered the Best Screenplay at Berlin Film Festival 2008

My thoughts
The film is powerful at depicting love and humanity, and by love, I mean a love bigger than romance. Despite a lot of subtleties, a lot is said as well. Knowing as little as possible about the film does help intensify the plot, as one does not know where it will go and how it will end. Hence, I shall just say that the film gets triggered off by the falling ill of a couple's daughter. It sets forth a series of issues which can be relational, philosophical, social, national or even cultural. What also helps make it a great film is the characterization of the 4 main protagonists (i.e., the 2 couples). One can literally empathize and feel for all of them, realizing how tough and complex their decisions are. At the end, who are we (the society) to judge?

Conclusion
Highly Recommended.
PS: The Chinese title "zuo you" translates to "left right". There are a few possibilities. My best guess is that it connotes the idiom "zuo you wei nan" (i.e., to be in a dilemma). It could also mean "influence" (as in who or what influences you). An appropriate and cryptic title indeed.
hengcs

Return to Film Talk