The Lower Depths

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

The Lower Depths

Postby sfdavide » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:11 pm

I loved this film. I liked the Renior version also but felt the darkness of this film made it more realistic. I think that if people are in this situation they will act more this way then like they did in the Renior film. The acting was fabulous including Toshiro Mifune, Koji Mitsui as the Gambler, Gonjiro Nakamura, the landlord and especially Kamatari Fujiwara as the actor and Bokuzen Hidari, "Gramps". I loved the way Kurosawa used stage actors mostly to film this play but they did not show they were stage actors. The scenery was wonderful and not many directors can film a movie and make it interesting with only two locations. I think this should be near the top of Kurosawa's other films.

I hope I put this post in the right place.
sfdavide

Re: The Lower Depths

Postby wpqx » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:45 pm

I loved how Renoir and Kurosawa were both able to make the story distinctively theirs and make it really fit their respective styles. There is a Kurosawa thread, not sure if you would have wanted it there, but perhaps you can specify in the title which version you'd prefer the discussion to center around.
wpqx

Postby sfdavide » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:39 am

I liked both but felt the Kurosawa version fit the story better
sfdavide

Postby wpqx » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:48 pm

I suppose eventually I'll read the book one of these days but I'll have to take your word for it.
wpqx

Postby jcdavies » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:29 pm

I also liked the feel of an acting troupe working well together (as with Renoir). But mention must be made of my heroine Kyoko Kagawa. Still, there are other underrated Kurosawa films like The Idiot that are probably more deserving of greater renown.
jcdavies

Postby wpqx » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:40 pm

I agree the Idiot is probably a better Kurosawa film but it's hard to find any fault with Kurosawa's 50's output.
wpqx

Return to Film Talk