Pandora's Box ( O dear...)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Pandora's Box ( O dear...)

Postby Sara » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:20 pm

I have spent this afternoon watching Pandora's Box ... because this is listed as one of Ebert's Greart Movies and because it is listed in Jay Carr's 100 best films. I am trying to see the best films.

Well, I really tried to enjoy it. But I just did not. I thought how I would have loved watching a Hitchcock movie instead - of one of Fellini's or Bergman's. Or even if it has to be silent, Nosferatu or a Dreyer.

Now I watched it on a great Criterian DVD with 2 good people giving commentary. (thank God for the commentary ...)

There are so many films that I love and enjoy. This was not one of them. In fact when it finally was over, I was GLAD. I was glad that I had seen one of the "great films" and I was glad I did not have to watch it again.

I know I must have missed the point or something.

Yesterday I watched "Bonnie and Clyde" and had a great time. Tomorrow I hope to watch Bresson's Mouchette.

Tell me truthfully, did I really miss something that you all have loved? Is Pandora's Box high on your list of movies that you love?

Sara
Sara

Re: Pandora's Box ( O dear...)

Postby wpqx » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:01 pm

I do not think it's "100 greatest" material, but I'm a big fan of Pabst and Pandora's Box is certainly one of his best and considerably better than Diary of a Lost Girl. Sometimes those great films go over our heads and even a re-watch won't do it justice. I've decided that I might give Vertigo a fourth chance in another week when it shows on 70mm but that's another film that clearly seems to be great to every one on earth besides me.

As for Pandora's itself I haven't seen it for about 8 years so all I can say is I liked it at the time.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:24 am

Sara: Did you initially watch the film with one of the "original" audio-tracks or did you started listening to the commentary somewhere along the way?
arsaib4

Postby Sara » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:14 am

I watched the film with the commentary from the beginning.

Sara
Sara

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:08 am

I see. So you must've then already seen the film on an earlier occasion and wanted to give it another go with the commentary on Criterion's disc...

All right, I'll stop playing Agent Mulder for now and state for the record that I also don't believe it belongs on many "Great Movies" lists. Do I like it? Yes. But I probably prefer Pabst's Westfront 1918 and the recently released Secrets of a Soul, which I still need to discuss.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:53 am

I've expressed my admiration for Westfront on numerous occasions, but am yet to pick up Secrets of a Soul and that seems a ringing endorsement. I think in the case of Pandora's Box, it's cult status is what largely carries the film and the extraordinary fascination that people have/had with Louise Brooks.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:52 pm

Perhaps, but I'm sure you'd agree that Pandora's status isn't totally unjustified. That said, I'd certainly rather have a 2-disc Criterion (with commentary, et al) of Westfront, which lamentably only exists on VHS in this country, and even that happens to be OOP.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:52 pm

True but then just as many people would be complaining the other way. I heard a rumor that a Westfront DVD was in the works. For now I'm content with my VHS, which is ironically the same way I have Pandora's Box.
wpqx

Postby tzarine » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:01 pm

I don't love it, but I find Louise Brooks' performance extremely watchable.

Confession: I used to wear my hair like hers.
tzarine

Postby jcdavies » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:30 pm

Well, along with De Niro in Raging Bull i think she gives the most remarkable performance in screen history. Her whole continuing cult mystique is basically down to that film
jcdavies

Return to Film Talk