Andrei Rublev

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Andrei Rublev

Postby kmcalma » Fri Aug 16, 2002 9:55 pm

I saw this film because there was so much raving about Tarkovsky on this website. Oy, is it just me or is this Russian epic a little too Russian or perhaps a little too epic? It didnt help matters that I was very confused by the characters and which ones did what.
kmcalma

Re: Andrei Rublev

Postby Mr. West » Sat Aug 17, 2002 12:18 pm

I thought it was a mildly good film; certainly not the greatest, though. Certain images still stick in my mind, like the scene where Andrei encounters the "pagan" girl frolicking with her friends by the river, and she questions his stony morality. I may watch it again in another 10 years or so, but I can't say I want to watch 3 hour films every week. There's certainly something to be said for conciseness...
Mr. West

Postby jancso » Sun Aug 18, 2002 8:51 pm

This is a deep exploration of faith, art, and hope, helped all the more by the fact that every scene is gorgeous beyond words. Andrei Rublev is easily one of my favorites.
jancso

Postby kuzma725 » Wed Sep 04, 2002 2:21 am

My native language (and culture, I guess) is Russian. I tried to watch this film (185 min version, subtitles) several days ago...couldn't even finish the first part. I'm sorry to have to say this about a supposed masterpiece, but it bored me half to death. I was not moved emotionally, spiritually, intellectually, or otherwise. I should mention that I felt similarly about such films as "Battleship Potemkin", "Citizen Kane" and a few other oldies, as well as some recent critically acclaimed films.

It seems to me that these older works, which may have represented very advanced and original thinking when they were made (although I am not so sure about that), are now quite dated and appear primitive, trivial, and even cliched. I don't think this has anything to do with the B/W or any other technical aspects. Before you get too upset, this is just my own little perspective, based on my modest experiences in life and film-watching. I do not claim to be a film expert or even a buff by any means. I consider myself a fan of good films, be they foreign, indie, or even, God forbid, Hollywood :). The question is, what is "good"? I will not attempt to answer this bottomless question here, but I would like to discuss this further with anyone who thinks they agree, understand or can relate to anything I just said. Perhaps I'll start a new thread and try to express my thoughts better when I have more time...

Check out my list of favorites on here (this is only a small subset) to get an idea of my tastes, and let me know what you think and/or recommend, although I haven't seen some of these in years and may have included them mostly for sentimental reasons. I wish there was something like an Unfavorites list so people could get an idea of what I feel is overrated, at best. More on that later...

kuzma725
kuzma725

Postby gratefultiger » Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:49 pm

tarkovsky films are all in the journey you should have hung in man!if you can't handle 3 hour films,then forget stalker or solaris,your favourites list is very conservative,loosen up stretch out i thought russians were patient & resiliant,
"RUBLEV"has soul and heaps of it,did you not notice the use of nature,the elements& spirituality,you sure your russian?
rublev was the greatest icon painter
congratulations the only russian i have encountered who has "bagged" a tarkovsky film. and didn't have the balls to see it through,the bell sequence is magnificent suggest you give it another go who knows you might see the light as rublev did. cheers from oz.
gratefultiger

Postby dbroehl262 » Sun Sep 15, 2002 7:31 pm

I have seen Andrei Rublev a couple of times and several other Trakovsky films. I also found Andrei Rublev to be a bit unclear as what the point of it was. In my mind Stalker is Tarkovsky's masterpeice. Although I know Andrei Rublev is supposed to be this wonderful epic, I just failed to see what was so profound about it. It was almost as if Tarkovsky was trying to make a Gesamtkunstwerk (Total work of Art)yet tried to hard and made a movie with a bit too much going on;if he wanted to send a claer message that message got watered down in all the details of the story.
dbroehl262

Postby john-5 » Mon Sep 16, 2002 9:57 pm

Having seen the film 4 times- this should already give a clue as to my opinion!- i must say i'm more convinced than ever that it's not only an awesome achievement but a contender for title of greatest film. From its opening with someone taking flight (even if momentarily) it's a film about Faith, the key theme in Tarkovsky's work; the trials experienced by Rublev amid all the atrocities of the period, leading to his self-imposed silence, and then the restoration of his speech in acknowledgment of the bell-ringer's simple faith.

Some of the set pieces are astounding. The feel for seasons and weather is virtually unsurpassed (even the rain seems Tarkovskian! Whenever it rained for weeks afterwards i kept thinking of the film. He had such a way with making the mundane seem extraordinary), the colour finale is great, and the last scene of horses swishing their tails in the meadow i often recall when i see horses in the lovely fields here. A wonderful sense of freedom. That he made the film at such a young age is even more remarkable.

Mirror is possibly its equal(!), Stalker is another masterpiece, Ivan's Childhood a superb and accessible debut feature, The Sacrifice is majestic, and Nostalgia and Solaris aren't bad either. No wonder Bergman considered him the greatest.

Still, everything is a matter of taste, and i certainly don't expect its pace and length to be for everyone.

I'm grateful for this thread; it's been a pleasure just thinking about Andrei Rublev and Tarkovsky.
john-5

Postby gratefultiger » Wed Sep 18, 2002 3:27 am

you are spot john,why can't people see this film for the masterpiece it is? a remarkable film of faith,history,philosophy & brilliant images that opens the soul to a feeling of knowledge of man's trials,an understanding that we must follow our hearts & minds to achieve true greatness & peace.tarkovsky a master!faith & self belief is the key.
gratefultiger

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Thu Oct 03, 2002 5:51 am

Greatest film ever? I don't think so, but Tarkovsky's films transcend their subject matter because the images loosen and expand time to where, like the man's reply stated, his films ARE in the journey. Tarkovsky was essentially a spiritual filmmaker. "Andrei Rublev" is a repository of ineffable insight, and yes it has receded a bit, yet it still mobilizes the fluidity and and resonance of a dream, like all great spiritual films. I would watch it again, maybe after watching "Stalker" or "Solaris" to see if Tarkovsky is your cup of tea. You don't have to like ALL foreign directors, you know.
bigpoppa_2059

Return to Film Talk