Fellini and Bergman

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Fellini and Bergman

Postby kmcalma » Thu Sep 12, 2002 4:41 pm

What Fellini film would you recommend besides Amarcord.
" Bergman " " " " " The Seventh Seal ?
kmcalma

Re: Fellini and Bergman

Postby patsfan86 » Thu Sep 12, 2002 11:37 pm

With Fellini you can't go wrong with La Strada or La Dolce Vita and the obvious choice for Bergman would be Wild Strawberries.
patsfan86

Postby somegreatmovies » Fri Sep 13, 2002 9:58 am

two lesser known films, but the ones that I think are the best: Il Bidone (the swindle) by Fellini & Monika (or Summer with Monika) by Bergman
somegreatmovies

Postby julesdabest » Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:20 pm

My favourite Fellini films are La Strada and Il Bidone but Il Vitelloni, La Dolce Vita, Ginger e Fred, 8 1/2, are worth watching.
Bergman's bests in my opinion are Cries and Whispers and Autumn Sonata but Wild Strawberries and the Seventh Seal are also worth watching.
Those are the only fellini and bergman films i have seen so I'm eager to hear of other films by them which are worth watching.
julesdabest

Postby ygie » Mon Sep 16, 2002 12:41 am

Hands down, The Virgin Spring and Wild Strawberries are Bergmans best.
Fellini's best is La Strada and my personal favorite and his masterpiece "Nights of Cabiria"
ygie

Postby john-5 » Mon Sep 16, 2002 4:37 am

For Fellini, 8 1/2 and La Dolce Vita. Bergman's masterpiece has to be Persona, while Fanny and Alexander is an ideal wallow at Xmas. I see Bergman is pretty popular on this website, currently dominating the Top 100, and Fellini's doing well, too. Woody Allen would be pleased.

john-5

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:08 am

Well, Fellini and Bergman were two of the biggest foreign box office draws in those days (60's to 80's), along with Truffaut and Kurosawa as foreign directors who could always be counted on to do good business in the states. I wonder what is so accessible about their films? Anyway, for Fellini I would say "8 1/2" is his seminal work, along with "La Dolce Vita", "Nights of Cabiria", and "La Strada". Many people critizized Fellini afer "La Strada" cause they felt he was betraying his neorealism roots and was becoming outlandish with 8 1/2 and "La Dolce..." Watch and compare to see which you prefer. As for Bergman, I'd say "Cries and Whispers" is his best, never has there been a more poetic or direct statement about morality, death as pain, and the need for love. Just hauntingly good. You'll never forget it. "The Seventh Seal", "Persona", "Wild Strawberries" and "Smiles of a Summer Night" are important too I'd say.
bigpoppa_2059

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:08 am

Well, Fellini and Bergman were two of the biggest foreign box office draws in those days (60's to 80's), along with Truffaut and Kurosawa as foreign directors who could always be counted on to do good business in the states. I wonder what is so accessible about their films? Anyway, for Fellini I would say "8 1/2" is his seminal work, along with "La Dolce Vita", "Nights of Cabiria", and "La Strada". Many people critizized Fellini afer "La Strada" cause they felt he was betraying his neorealism roots and was becoming outlandish with 8 1/2 and "La Dolce..." Watch and compare to see which you prefer. As for Bergman, I'd say "Cries and Whispers" is his best, never has there been a more poetic or direct statement about morality, death as pain, and the need for love. Just an extroadinary piece of work. You'll never forget it. "The Seventh Seal", "Persona", "Wild Strawberries" and "Smiles of a Summer Night" are important too I'd say.
bigpoppa_2059

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Thu Oct 03, 2002 4:42 pm

sorry about posting twice...
bigpoppa_2059

Postby mandron » Thu Oct 03, 2002 5:27 pm

Can't miss with Fellini's 8 1/2

<a href="http://www.webnautinc.com" target="_blank">www.webnautinc.com</a>
mandron

Next

Return to Film Talk