Red Cliff (Chi Bi) (2008) (Hong Kong/China/US)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Red Cliff (Chi Bi) (2008) (Hong Kong/China/US)

Postby hengcs » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:31 am

Director: John Woo
Cast: Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Takeshi Kaneshiro, Chang Chen, Hu Jun, Zhang Fengyi, Lin Chiling, Zhao Wei, Shido Nakamura

This is the most anticipated film that will be screened this July (part 1) and December (part 2).

While nobody can predict the outcome till it is screened, many are at least ascertained of a better "plot" (unless it is not well adapted). The story is based on an episode in the familiar Romance of The Three Kingdoms classic.
hengcs

Re: Red Cliff (Chi Bi) (2008) (Hong Kong/China/US)

Postby hengcs » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:18 am

Red Cliff 1 - a bit slow becos they r just paving the way for Part 2.

Red Cliff 2 - rather enjoyable after the initial ball game ...

IMHO, they should re-edit the 2 parts to make the story tighter and it will feel much more like an epic
hengcs

Postby R6dw6C » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:05 pm

IMHO, they should re-edit the 2 parts to make the story tighter and it will feel much more like an epic That's exactly what they will do for the European market, make one 2,5 hour movie out of the two. I'm looking forward to the film since I was one of those who sincerely hoped that John Woo would return to his home country and make another Chinese Film but I will avoid this European version because I can't imagine it will do the Film any good.
R6dw6C

Postby hengcs » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:35 pm

I think 3.5 hr makes better sense.
hengcs

Postby R6dw6C » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:18 pm

Don't you think it will be too "hasty" and rushed then? Since lengthy parts are said to be mostly action, won't there too much of it and too little plot / character development? I once tried to imagine BEN HUR, trimmed down to 150 Minutes and it creeped me out because I could easily imagine what parts would be missing if that cut would've been made by the producers because they always think that the audiences just want action, action, action.

Regarding your "suggestion": Unfortunately, I got the impression that new films are not allowed to run longer than 160 Minutes when released theatrical today. The biggest exceptions (in commercial cinema) of the last years probably were the "four Jacksons" (Lord of the Rings 1 - 3 and King Kong)... I often cry out for the good old times, where it was quite common for mainstream movies to run three hours, to come back but they probably won't.
R6dw6C

Postby hengcs » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:51 pm

Oh, I was not aware of this cinematic ruling.

Anyway, I do feel that Red Cliff Part 1 and 2 is a bit uneven.
I like characterization, but I also like movies to keep me on the toes (i.e., interested to know what happen next).
Hence, I feel that the total of 5 hrs shld be trimmed, maybe to 3.5 or worse case, 4 hrs.

Even though Europe/US will have a shorter version, the DVDs for the 2 parts is always available.

rgds
hengcs

Postby R6dw6C » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:24 am

Well, that's exactly what upset me - I was looking forward to the film(s) very much and because of the massive cut European version, I will probably be unable to see it in a theatre because I don't want to support this kind of "distribution". They still did that in the 60ies and 70ies but one should suppose that we left those times behind us.
Well, at least on DVD. Since the RC3 Blu-ray seems to be so great, according to DVDBeaver, the DVDs will also be, I assume.
R6dw6C

Postby tzarine » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:41 am

Love the Tony Leung-Takeshi Kaneshiro glances during their musical interlude and doves, too.

Entertaining epic stuff. Glad to see Woo back. After the Hollywood mishaps.
tzarine

Postby hengcs » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:04 am

Hi,
I am glad you like it.

Did you watch Red Cliff 1 or 2 or both?

rgds
hengcs

Return to Film Talk