Has anyone seen "Lovers of the Arctic Circle"?

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Has anyone seen "Lovers of the Arctic Circle"?

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Mon Oct 07, 2002 1:52 am

I keep seeing this film at my local video store, but am not sure about it. Anyone tell me if it's any good, or not?
bigpoppa_2059

Re: Has anyone seen "Lovers of the Arctic Circle"?

Postby john-5 » Mon Oct 07, 2002 4:26 am

I liked it, found it engaging, mystical and very touching. The Spanish director Medem is an original talent, deserves to be better known.; see also Tierra, Red Squirrel, Vacas, and Sex and Lucia. I know Gimferrer, Spanish expert here, prefers his other films to Lovers of the Arctic Circle, but i'd recommend giving it a try.
john-5

Postby gimferrer » Tue Oct 08, 2002 11:10 am

I don't like it much. The main roles are spot on(Nimri and Martinez) but I didn't like the plot much. from Julio Medem Vacas is the best followed by Sex And Lucia, Tierra and The Red Squirl.

Julio madem said that after that he needed to do a more cheerful film after that and he did Lucia Y El Sxo, again a great Paz Vega! beautifull colors and images there!
gimferrer

Postby ygie » Tue Oct 08, 2002 7:07 pm

I personally liked this film a lot. The plot was very "Romeo and Juliet" see for yourself.
ygie

Postby shodam » Thu Oct 17, 2002 1:03 am

This film is really great! Though may be described as some kind of "Romeo and Juliet" story, the way director handles it makes this film truly exceptional. Definitely film which stays in your mind for some (long) time. Recommended.
shodam

Postby bjornam » Thu Oct 17, 2002 10:48 pm

I love the film. Cheerful? Anyway, all of Medems films are truly original and beautiful. Check him out!
bjornam

Return to Film Talk