Curse the remakes!

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Curse the remakes!

Postby thegreatken1 » Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:47 am

I heard on the news that the remade "Swept Away" was disappointing. It made a third of a million dollars so far. What we know so far...

-The originals are always better.

-People are still waiting for a good Madonna film.

Anyway, is anybody going to compare the original "The Ring" from Japan to the Hollywood "Ring"?
thegreatken1

Re: Curse the remakes!

Postby ygie » Tue Oct 15, 2002 8:06 pm

I hope not!!!
ygie

Postby bjornam » Thu Oct 17, 2002 10:50 pm

Remakes. Solaris. Say no more.
bjornam

Postby stof_ » Mon Nov 25, 2002 7:25 pm

can we get a list of all the stupid remakes out there?
I know about solaris, insomnia, vanilla sky but I had no idea the ring was a remake.
Dispite ripping off another film, there is often little homage paid to the source of the material. thats the worst part about the remakes. on some level, they could work as a tool to get people into films they wouldn't normally see. but you never hear anything about the original film during the advertising circus.
stof_

Postby katsuben » Thu Nov 28, 2002 1:13 pm

To flip this around in a positive, if for some obnoxious or absurd, manner, for something resembling a good (if tangential) remake I'll vouch for Showgirls (re All About Eve). Frankly I'm surprised at the distinct lack of argument concerning my repeated assertions for the outstanding quality of Showgirls. Considering it tanked when released, I'm assuming there's someone out there who despises it? Aside from a rather perfunctory rape scene, I actually do think its very good.
katsuben

Postby J-Man » Fri Nov 29, 2002 1:45 am

I would like to clarify to all of you that Solaris is NOT a remake! It is based on literature, a book by Stanislav Lem, plus from the adds i have seen for it, it looks quite different than the Tarkovsky version.
J-Man

Postby nickpilarski » Fri Nov 29, 2002 7:47 pm

What was the name of the origional name of Solaris?
nickpilarski

Postby stof_ » Sat Nov 30, 2002 7:20 am

But does this solaris draw its content from the movie or the novel? I read in the toronto star that the director director wanted to do the film because he loved seeing the first one. there was no mention if the book was even read.
any idea?
stof_

Postby masalsky » Mon Dec 16, 2002 7:53 pm

I have to say, I really liked the US remake of The Ring. I thought it took out some of the sillier aspects of the original and still was chilling. I still like the original better but the new one is a good alternative for those moviegoers that don't like to read subtitles.

I also liked Vanilla Sky, so sue me! LOL
masalsky

Return to Film Talk