Has anyone seen the new Godard film "In Praise of Love"?

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Has anyone seen the new Godard film "In Praise of Love"?

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Tue Oct 29, 2002 7:10 am

I just saw it at a sneak preview screening, and I really loved it. A cinematic essay on memory, life, and language as love. The film is similar to "Masculin/Feminin" and "Contempt", in that it's essaytic and extremely deft and complex. I expected a bit more from the Father of Modern Cinema, and the greatest living director, but hey. I'd like to read more opinions.
Godard is still a genius.
bigpoppa_2059

Re: Has anyone seen the new Godard film "In Praise of Love"?

Postby jason-3 » Tue Oct 29, 2002 10:18 pm

Looking forward to seeing it... especially after your comparison to "Masculin/Feminin", my favorite Godard film.
jason-3

Postby gratefultiger » Wed Oct 30, 2002 9:21 pm

yes.it is brilliant,some beautiful monochrome photography'with refernces to renoir &especially vigo,then into glorious digital.i loved it & am looking forward to getting a copy.luc-godard is still on the ball.
gratefultiger

Postby admin-2 » Thu Oct 31, 2002 3:39 pm

It's nice to know that the "old boy" can still irritate people. Some of the criticism he's taken for this film because it is perceived to be "anti-American", is laughable in the extreme. But I guess insane, extreme times bring out insane, extreme opinions!
admin-2

Postby gimferrer » Sun Nov 03, 2002 7:22 am

Exelent film. The flasback in colour and the present in black and white, Goddard would be a good painter. the dialogues about cinema are sharp and honest. AT times hard to follow, the first time I gave up, the second I watch the whole film and loved it, then again i won't see the film in a while I think.
gimferrer

Return to Film Talk