What country has the best foreign films?

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

What country has the best foreign films?

Postby Curt46n2 » Mon Nov 04, 2002 5:25 am

What country makes the best foreign films. Don't just say Japan because of Akira Kurosawa. I would say Japan because I am fascinated by samurai culture. And ninjas. Ninjas are great. www.realultimatepower.net
Curt46n2

Re: What country has the best foreign films?

Postby Gaz » Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:53 am

Frankly, this question is so inane, I'm not going to qualify it with an answer.
Gaz

Postby kmcalma » Tue Nov 05, 2002 12:55 am

I'm inane so I'll answer but it is a loaded question...Check out CHINA, esp Zhang Yimou's work. Ive watched about 100 foreign films in the last half year and thats my vote.
kmcalma

Postby Curt46n2 » Tue Nov 05, 2002 5:05 am

Sorry you think my topic is inane, Gaz, but I'm just starting to get into foreign films. I hope you will excuse me for wanting to know what I should get into.
Curt46n2

Postby Mr. West » Tue Nov 05, 2002 11:17 am

But there's so much more to cinema than bloody ninjas!

My vote is for Germany, particulary Murnau, Fassbinder, and various one-off films like 'Maedchen in Uniform.'
Mr. West

Postby Gaz » Tue Nov 05, 2002 11:37 am

My intention was not to offend, just to point out that this site isn't about a competition between countries. I love films from all over the world - one country is not necessarily the best. It would be far more constructive to ask which directors other people consider best. For what it's worth, I don't know what kind of non-Japanese films would appeal to a ninja-lover, but watch this space...
Gaz

Postby thegreatken1 » Tue Nov 05, 2002 3:11 pm

France:
movies by Godard, Besson, Renoir, and Costas-Gavras; also film noir, and comedies (like Francis Veber movie) that Hollywood made lame remakes of.

Spain:
Buñuel (also see above) and Almodovar

Germany:
old favorites like Nosferatu and Metropolis, to the Tom Tykwer thriller

Italy:
Roberto Benigni comedies like Johnny Stecchino and Life Is Beautiful; the original Swept Away; Antonioni and Fellini flicks.

Hong Kong:
obviously the best martial arts and triad films before the stars went to Hollywood; also Shaolin Soccer
thegreatken1

Postby aviv71 » Tue Nov 05, 2002 4:14 pm

I tend to like French and Italian movies. It probably has something to do with being Italian. Nanni Moretti is my favorite director. I also think Cinema Paradiso is great. Indochine is another favorite.
aviv71

Postby admin-2 » Tue Nov 05, 2002 6:22 pm

This is a question that I actually think is challenging!

If you're talking about the quality of output, throughout the history of film...I think I would have to say Sweden. Not because they make more "masterpieces", but because they seem to only export their "best". I wish more countries would show the restraint the Swede's do when foisting their films on the rest of the world (take that FRANCE...You too ITALY!)

Sjostrom, Molander, Stiller, Bergman (Ing & Dan), Troell, Christensen, Sjoberg, Widerberg, (early) Hallstrom and Moodysson, etc.! They may not make a lot of films, but they make a lot of good film directors.
admin-2

Postby ygie » Tue Nov 05, 2002 8:48 pm

I may be bias, being that Bergman is my favorite director.
Sweden is my choice of country and Bergman represents it well.
ygie

Next

Return to Film Talk