What country has the best foreign films?

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: What country has the best foreign films?

Postby J-Man » Wed Nov 06, 2002 6:41 am

Well Gaz actually best directors is also not very good because we all have someone different whom we think fits that category. And as for countries, I will say that my favorite country is probably Russia, simply astounding filmmakers and their visions, Russia has had a history of great artists, and they say when you mix politics with art you get a potent solution.
J-Man

Postby john-5 » Wed Nov 06, 2002 4:35 pm

Well Curt, you've already hit on the right country, if not for its best films. Try not only Kurosawa (who needs little publicity) but Takeshi Kitano (violent, humorous cool), Ozu (quiet wisdom), Oshima (radical, challenging) Kore-eda, Imamura, Ichikawa and many others. And not forgetting contemporary animation. Then you can move up to the highest level cinema has yet reached; the films of Kenji Mizoguchi.

My own 3 strongest recommendations would be; Sansho the Bailiff, Seven Samurai, Tokyo Story, from the 3 most famous Japanese grandmasters.

Of course there are wonderful films in many countries. France has produced a huge number of masterpieces, and i'm also partial to Russian cinema.
john-5

Postby john-5 » Wed Nov 06, 2002 5:11 pm

I must add that i'm heartened by the number of excellent films from Iran in recent years- a couple of dozen, of a consistently high standard, have been "doing the rounds" in Britain and America-, and by the resurgence of Spanish and Latin American cinema (rather more sexy and trendy). And Japan is certainly not the only far Eastern country producing a range of good stuff. Some top films from China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, even Vietnam. The world is your oyster.
john-5

Postby admin-2 » Wed Nov 06, 2002 5:50 pm

OH MAN! How could I forget IRAN! They're making some really great films! But be aware, you may be able to tell where the censor stepped in and said, "no...sorry...you can't go THAT far". A good "western style" Iranian film to get you into their cinema is a lovely little film called "The Last Act". It's a "domestic thriller" that actually has the feel of Clouzot's LES DIABOLIQUES (even if it cops out at the end).
admin-2

Postby gratefultiger » Wed Nov 06, 2002 9:29 pm

iranian cinema is great yet to see a bad one,& censorship is a worry but don't we get that everywhere? we do here in aussie.the humanism & the issue with children most appeal to the heart.
gratefultiger

Postby Gaz » Wed Nov 06, 2002 9:38 pm

Sure, best directors is not good, but it's a better way of classifying films than by nationality. The fact that anyone will have their own personal opinion is beside the point: this is the case in any situation.

In short, my point is that it may be useless classifying the films of a certain country together. For instance, Mon Pere, Ce Heros is far removed from La Haine, which in turn has not much in common with Jules et Jim. I only liked one of these three films, yet (correct me if I'm wrong) they are all from the same country.
Gaz

Postby patsfan86 » Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:47 pm

What country? What director? It doesn't really matter in the end. The most important thing is the reason we all frequent this site. WE LOVE FOREIGN FILMS!
patsfan86

Postby patsfan86 » Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:52 pm

And for what it's worth, I'll take Japan. I've yet to see a Japanese I didn't like. Everything from the acknowledged classics like Ikiru and Ugetsu to the Zatoichi series of films.
patsfan86

Postby J-Man » Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:28 am

Yes Gaz I know, but like countries filmakers evolve just the same, well the good ones anyway, they keep their trademarks, but will change somewhat. As for the term foreign, I do not care for it, see I live in Canada so US movies are "foreign" to me, also it doesnt really mean anything because a filmaker can choose to make a film in any country or any story he chooses.
J-Man

Postby Gaz » Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:42 am

It's pointless arguing with some people...

It's certainly got everyone talking, I can't deny that, but you won't get me saying one country is best. Well OK, France.
Gaz

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk