The Forbidden Topic (Enter at your own risk!)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

The Forbidden Topic (Enter at your own risk!)

Postby Curt46n2 » Mon Nov 04, 2002 5:50 am

I hope I won't be drawn and quartered for asking this question, but here goes: What are your 10 favorite American films? Exclude obvious ones like The Godfather, Braveheart, and others that are on everybody's list.

Here's mine (not in any order):
Scarface
(Tony Montana is the ultimate badass)
SLC Punk
(You need to see this film)
The Fight Club
(Appeals to my male aggression. Great for thinkers and people who just love watching savage beatings)
American History X
(You have to see Ed Norton in other movies to realize how amazing his performance in this one is)
The Breakfast Club
(No other movie captures high school so perfectly)
Dogma
(Funniest movie I've ever seen)
A Streetcar Named Desire
(Classic)
Taxi Driver
(Robert De Niro is a deity)
Reservoir Dogs
(much better than Pulp Fiction)
Road to Perdition
(This is the most beautifully filmed movie I have ever seen. Sam Mendes is a genius. If you don't agree, you are a foreign film snob, and someone should make you bite the curb)
Curt46n2

Re: The Forbidden Topic (Enter at your own risk!)

Postby wvq » Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:03 am

I haven't seen this topic on here before, and it seems a worthy subject of discussion. So, here goes. (Note that I'm not going to keep anything off my list since it might show up on everyone else's.)

Greed
Sunrise
Scarface (Hawks)
The Shop around the Corner
The Magnificent Ambersons
Scarlet Street
Monsieur Verdoux
The Night of the Hunter
2001 (Is it really American? Close enough, I say.)
Martin (Romero)

That's just dashed off in the heat of the moment. I'll think about this more and come back later, perhaps adding a few runners-up.
wvq

Postby ygie » Mon Nov 04, 2002 10:27 pm

In random order:

All about eve.
Citizen Kane.
The manchurian candidate.
Bliss.
Schindler's list.

Rear Window.
Mulholland drive.
You can count on me.
From here to eternity.
What ever happend to baby jane.
The straight story.

ygie

Postby wvq » Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:21 pm

I warned you I'd return to add on some runners-up, and return I have. So here are ten more selections for you.

Broken Blossoms
Sherlock Jr.
Fury
Miracle of Morgan's Creek
Force of Evil
Fort Apache
Vertigo
Point Blank
Barry Lyndon
Mikey and Nicky

And yet a few more that didn't quite make the second ten: Queen Kelly, Christmas in July, The Great Dictator, Park Row, Paths of Glory, Beyond a Reasonable Doubt, Dawn of the Dead
wvq

Postby winstonwes » Tue Nov 05, 2002 10:10 am

I'd like to have seen Requiem for a Dream on some of those lists? Have you seen it? It's incredible!!
winstonwes

Postby admin-2 » Tue Nov 05, 2002 3:31 pm

My Favourites (not necessarily "bests", but films I watch again and again):

1/ CITIZEN KANE (The best ever, but SO MUCH FUN! "There is a man/One certain man/And for the poor/you can be sure/he'll do all he can..." I'm listening to it now, at the video store I manage)
2/ MY DINNER WITH ANDRE (because it changed my life)
3/ BRINGING UP BABY (pure anarchic insanity. The funniest film I have ever seen...again and again and again...)
4/ DUCK SOUP (for the same reason as #2, it's just NOT as good)
5/ MACCABE AND MRS MILLER (A film so beautiful its imagery can actually make me weep! That zoom into Beatty's face when the slow witted hooker says, "I have to go to the pot", is pure poetry. The best American film of the '70's as well as the most humane)
6/ A NEW LEAF (Elaine May is a genius and although I like "Mikey And Nicky", this film floors me every time)
8/ LOLITA (not Kubrick's "best", but hysterically funny and extremely intelligent. Shelly Winters rocks my world!)
9/ NEXT STOP WONDERLAND (Brad Anderson's 1998 film was a film that I watched with zero expectations, but was truly bowled over by it. A "minor" miracle)
10/ THE PHILADELPHIA STORY (Everyone was firing on all cylinders in this one, none more so than Cukor, a good director, who cexecuted a great film)
admin-2

Postby wvq » Tue Nov 05, 2002 4:01 pm

I'd just like to chime in here and point out that I agree with you about at least one thing: A New Leaf is fabulous. (Bringing up Baby is brilliant as well, but I doubt I really need to chime in and point that out to anyone.)
wvq

Postby admin-2 » Tue Nov 05, 2002 6:10 pm

Thanx!

I was going to point out your choice of FURY. It's my favourite Lang film of his "American Period". I couldn't believe he was THAT political that early in his American career! I thought he'd wait a while before taking on lynch mobs!!!
admin-2

Postby wvq » Tue Nov 05, 2002 6:28 pm

Yeah, I have a hard time choosing between Fury and Scarlet Street. For a long while, I would have said Fury, but I've slowly been coming around to Scarlet Street. I doubt there's much of a reason behind it.

Part of what I find so interesting about Fury is its relation to M. I think Fury can be read very interestingly as a sort of response to M, although I've never really thought this out. They both concern issues of the individual's relation to the wider society, with M focusing on the society and Fury on the individual. In M the serial killer remains a sort of abstraction until the end of the film, and we focus on the way the society conducts itself in a panicked attempt to remove the source of evil within. In Fury the wider society remains a sort of threatening abstraction until the end of the film, and we focus on how the individual responds to the crushing power that wider society can wield. Anyway, you see where this is going: there's a sort of dialectical relationship between the two films, and it makes them richer than they'd be in isolation.
wvq

Postby bjornam » Wed Nov 06, 2002 9:51 pm

Lost Highway or Mullholand Dr.
Apocalypse Now.
Double Indemnity.
Paths of Glory (american, no?)
Down By Law.
Anything by Welles, not Citizen Kane (boring).
Raging Bull or Taxi Driver.
Vertigo or Psycho.
Manhattan (maybe).
City Lights.
Deer Hunter.
Sunset Boulevard.
bjornam

Next

Return to Film Talk