The Forbidden Topic (Enter at your own risk!)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: The Forbidden Topic (Enter at your own risk!)

Postby Tigerlily707 » Fri Nov 22, 2002 3:48 pm

Shawshank Redemption

The Anniversary Party

Basquiat

Sidewalks of New York

Husbands and Wives

Big Night

Sense and Sensibility

Mindwalk

Smoke

Dogfight

Tigerlily707

Postby wpqx » Sat Dec 28, 2002 2:56 am

Despite the many people who have already contributed, I can't help myself. Since you said exclude the obvious, that may mean that the Godfather, Citizen Kane, Casablanca, and Lawrence of Arabia are out. I also don't think anyone would appreciate Star Wars in this crowd. So here goes, somewhat personal, but excuse me if I pick a popular film.
1. All Quiet on the Western Front
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey
3. Pulp Fiction
4. Apocalypse Now
5. Ordinary People
6. The Shining
7. Schindler's List
8. Days of Wine and Roses
9. Dances With Wolves
10. Singin in the Rain
There are many excluded, but thats a start. Just for the record Kane is the greatest ever.
wpqx

Postby Bacchus33 » Sat Dec 28, 2002 12:16 pm

Anyone ever watched Morrissey's Flesh? I though Heat was the worst film ever made.
Bacchus33

Postby vibrantspring » Sun Dec 29, 2002 3:47 am

I have always had a special feeling for the movie, "Lonely Are The Brave". I think that, a hundred years from now, classes in movie making will use it as a prime example of the masterful blending of all of the necessary components and elements of a good movie.
When Kirk Douglas named it as his most favorite of all the films he ever starred in, I nearly fell off my chair with joy and affirmation! Get a copy of this film and watch it on one of those special evenings that you can curl up with some hot chocolate and watch it with undivided attention. I get something new out of this movie every time I watch it. It has so many things going on at different levels at the same time. A truly masterful work embodying a timeless scenario that depicts how a small number of us stubbornly push to exact social change before it's time, and a small number of those who adamantly resist the inevitability of it! This leaves an ambivalent yet acquiescent majority somewhere in the middle.
vibrantspring

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Tue Jan 07, 2003 4:52 am

Damn, everybody named all my favs already. I'm surprised Hawks is so underrepresented though.

Touch of Evil
Trouble in Paradise
The General
The Searchers
Vertigo
Some Like it Hot (yes, it's the funniest film ever made)
The Godfather II
Singin' in the Rain
Lawrence of Arabia
Raging Bull (best film of the last two decades)
bigpoppa_2059

Postby pre-tender » Sun Jan 12, 2003 8:14 am

well, even thought i could not see many flick of top-rated lists i may list some "great-flicks" as far as i saw, yet it is not possible to enumerate them, i wrote in random order:
---schindler's list
---pi
---a clockwork orange
---the piano
---fargo
---amadeus
---memento
---saving private ryan
---the fight club
Note: but i m sure my top-list will change when i got the opportunity to rent dvds :)
pre-tender

Postby tincanpally » Sun Jan 12, 2003 2:14 pm

I don't want to fan the fires AGAIN, but I saw The Magnificent Ambersons and didn't know that the ending was tacked on by the studio, and actually LIKED it. It was obvious that Anne Baxter was really in love with him (remember when she passed out in the soda shop? One of my favorite scenes of all time and she was brilliant, just watch her face) but being the super-observant/intelligent/whatever person she was knew she couldn't be with him because he was such a prick. And when he was finally broken-down, THEN it was possible. I took it to mean redemption and finding your true path was possible for ANYONE, not it being just a happy studio ending. THEN I find out everyone else thinks it's crap, and Welles had nothing to do with it! Is there a book or DVD of The Magnificent Ambersons out that explains the whole evolution and bastardization of the film? Or maybe I should go back and read Booth Tarkington's novel.
And what about the A and E re-make that was supposedly faithful to Welles' vision? (I missed it, though it is out on video). Is it worth checking out?
I love this movie. I was a shocked to read everyone hated what I loved, but am keeping an open mind, and really want to know how Welles WANTED it to end, and what's up with the rest.
tincanpally

Postby HASSELBAINK007 » Sun Jan 12, 2003 7:49 pm

What a Great Question for a World Cinema Group
Here are the Selections from London Jury

1/Butt man
2/Spiderman
3/Cameraman
4/Batman
5/Scooby Dooooooooooooo
6/Superman
7/Disneyman
8/cretinman
9/Flash Gordonman
10 Mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
HASSELBAINK007

Postby littlesam1 » Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:48 pm

Casablanca
Bringing Up Baby
The Lion In Winter
Midnight Cowboy
The English Patient
Mr. Skeffington
South Park Bigger Longer Uncut
20,000 Leagues Under The Sea
Bridge On The River Kwai
Serial Mom

I know this is probably going to be the most bizarre list on this thread. But I really love all of ten of these movies for many different and unusual reasons. Not a list of great films, but ten films that mean something to me.

Larry
littlesam1

Postby Gaz » Wed Feb 05, 2003 2:43 pm

There's something to be said for the attitude that the films which mean the most to you are the best films.

I am a fan of some pretty awful films (not mentioned on my favourites list), but they have great sentimental value for me.

But it's more than my credibility's worth (if I have any) to name them.
Gaz

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk