TAVERNIER and ARMSTRONG...underrated?

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

TAVERNIER and ARMSTRONG...underrated?

Postby admin-2 » Sun Nov 10, 2002 4:06 pm

I have been thinking about Bertrand Tavernier (France) and Gillian Armstrong (Australia) lately and I've come to the conclusion that they are two of the most underrated, yet consistenly "good" film directors working today. I don't think they make a lot of masterpieces, but they consistently make films that do not insult my intelligence. I'd hate to think that they would have to wait until after their deaths to be truly appreciated like some of the "forgotten" masters of the past (Budd Boetticher, Allan Dwann, Ida Lupino and Anthony Mann, for instance).

My questions are:

Do you agree with this assessment?

Who would you suggest is also underrated?

Re: TAVERNIER and ARMSTRONG...underrated?

Postby katsuben » Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:26 pm

Tavernier, no (because formally uninteresting, although i do like CAPITAINE CONAN). Armstrong, no...but for no better reason than the one you suggested: okay films, nothing terrific. Perhaps Verhoeven, Breillat, Ruiz, Romero, and Kluge? And while I'm feeling playful, how about Frank Oz? He's Yoda, he's made at least 2 good films, he's proven not to be full of Jim Henson's bollocks. :)

Postby highsierratrekker » Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:33 am

I too personally like Travernier a lot. His earlier work is generally stronger, particularly the biting satire and great commentary of French colonialism in Africa, Clean Slate. Two other good films are the Watchmaker of Toulouse (I think that's it) and a Week's Vacation; in the latter, Natalie Baye gives a fine performance of a teacher in crisis. Among later work, two films stand out. One is L627, the narco-epic; the other was a film released a couple of years ago, It all starts here about a kindergarten teacher working in a depressed factory town in eastern France. To be sure, Travernier's work isn't innovative in technique and style, but it has a very good political edge to it. TWo thumbs up!

Postby Arletty » Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:23 am

Yes to Tavernier and Armstrong and a few more for consideration.

D’Artagnan’s Daughter
It All Starts Today
Life and Nothing But
Round Midnight
Safe Conduct
Sunday in the Country
These Foolish Things
Undeclared War, The

Elective Affinities
Good Morning Babilonia
Meadow, The
Night of the Shooting Stars, The