Films from Latin America & Spain

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Films from Latin America & Spain

Postby mrodriguez4 » Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:08 pm

Discussion about films from spanish speaking countries
mrodriguez4

Re: Films from Latin America & Spain

Postby mrodriguez4 » Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:09 pm

Has anyone seen movies from Argentina? In my opinion, some are quite good. For Example; Man Facing Southeast (Hombre mirando al sureste), The son of the bride (El hijo de la Novia), 8 Queens (8 Reynas), Herencia etc.

Some movies from Spain are interesting.

I'm interested on hearing feedback if anyone seen these movies.
mrodriguez4

Postby gimferrer » Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:31 am

ah yes this year I have discovered argentinian cinema, I loved ; La Fuga, Nueve Reinas, El Hijo De La Novia and El faro Del Sur...all with Ricardo darin as a lead actor, this guy it's every where!!

another quiet good is 'El Mismo Amor, la Misma Lluvia'..

As Spaniish films this year the best i have seen are:

1- talk To Her

2- Los Lunes Al Sol

3- Lucia Y El Sexo

4- Al Otro Lado De La Cama

5- Dias Contados

6- Smoking Room

but all the films by Julio Medem, Alejandro Amenabar, Pedro Almodovar, David Trueba and lately Fernando Leon De Aranoa are awesome!

Fernando Leon De Aranoa has done; Barrio (which is superb) and Los Lunes Al Sol with Javier Bardem in one of the best roles he has ever done.
gimferrer

Postby thegreatken1 » Sat Dec 21, 2002 8:35 pm

Almodóvar and Buñuel are the great ones.
thegreatken1

Postby jvasquez1970 » Sun Jan 05, 2003 8:23 pm

Buñuel being 'the' greatest.
2nd is Carlos Saura and then Almodovar.
jvasquez1970

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Tue Jan 07, 2003 5:44 am

I agree that Almadovar is the greatest Spanish director since Bunuel. Don't forget Manuel De Olivieria (currently the oldest working director in the world and set the world record for directing his last film at the ripe age of 90 years old). Probably the greatest Portuguese director.
bigpoppa_2059

Postby gratefultiger » Fri Jan 10, 2003 4:28 am

De Oliviera is a master!
gratefultiger

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:10 am

Am I crazy, or am I the only person who didn't like "El Crimen De Padre Amaro"? I thought it was a lurid, over-the-top melodrama that really had nothing to say, and was not nearly as poignant or emotional as "Y Tu..."
bigpoppa_2059

Postby gimferrer » Sat Feb 01, 2003 9:43 am

I haven't seen it , but I heard it's rather bland film, of course it makes more impact in countries where catholicism still very much the religion. I really like Gael Garcia Bernal as an actor, but I am totally put off by this new film

:(
gimferrer

Postby Ria » Sat Sep 20, 2003 5:47 pm

I’ve only seen [b]” El hijo de la Novia”[/b] (“Son of the bride”) from Argentina.

[b]"El Crimen De Padre Amaro"[/b] (The crime of father Amaro) disappointed me. I felt it lacked ‘heart’. Well acted but just not brilliant.

I loved [b]El Mariachi”“Sex y Lucia”, “Amores Perros” & “Y tu mama tambien”[/b].

I felt that [b]“Abre los ojos”[/b] was much better than “Open your eyes” but it wasn’t brilliant.
Ria

Next

Return to Film Talk