Finest Actress

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Finest Actress

Postby kjandca » Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:42 pm

For my 2 cents. I must mention my favorite French actress: Marie-France Pisier. Being in "The Other Side of Midnight" (a really bad movie I'd love to see again) probably killed her Hollywood career. Too bad, because I thought she was excellant in "Chanel Solitaire" and very funny in "French Postcards" and "Cousin, Cousine". I'd love to see her in "Celine and Julie Go Boating" if that ever come to video. According to what I've read on ome movie web pages, she still acts in French cinema as well as directs and writes screenplays. Really, I'd love to see some of later work.
kjandca

Postby kjandca » Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:46 pm

For my 2 cents. I must mention my favorite French actress: Marie-France Pisier. Being in "The Other Side of Midnight" (a really bad movie I'd love to see again) probably killed her Hollywood career. Too bad, because I thought she was excellant in "Chanel Solitaire" and very funny in "French Postcards" and "Cousin, Cousine". I'd love to see her in "Celine and Julie Go Boating" if that ever come to video. According to what I've read on ome movie web pages, she still acts in French cinema as well as directs and writes screenplays. Really, I'd love to see some of later work.
kjandca

Postby auteur » Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:23 am

I wouldn't assume she was/is interested in a "Hollywood career". [i]Celine and Julie[/i] is available on vhs in the US; a challenging, brilliant Rivette film. As for more recent performances, [i]Son of Gascogne, Time Regained[/i] and [i]A 100 and One Nights[/i] are available on dvd in North America.
auteur

Postby gratefultiger » Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:01 pm

Isabelle Huppert in "The Piano Teacher" is the best performance i have seen for a long while,boy is she good!
gratefultiger

Postby manals » Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:15 pm

dudes - all those women are great. But check out these movies & actresses from India - and no they are not the commercial drivel promoted by the average joe shmoe!
1. Dimple Kapadia in Lekin, Rudali, Drishti, Dil Chahta Hai
2. Shanbana Azmi & Smita Patel in any Shyam Benegal movie.
3. Rekha in Umrao Jaan in Astha
4. Tabu in Chandni Bar, Sazai Kalapani, Astitva, Maachis
5. Nandita Das in Deepa Mehta's Fire, Earth, Lal Salaam, Bawander, Aks
6. Sharmila Tagore in any Gulzar or Satyajit Rai movie

but trust me on Dimple Kapadia in Lekin
manals

Postby Leo Africanus » Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:10 pm

France Zobda, the beautiful actress from Martinique. Maribel Verdu from Spain is also very fine.
Leo Africanus

Previous

Return to Film Talk