Foreign Films For Dummies

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Foreign Films For Dummies

Postby gratefultiger » Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:55 am

wong kar wai's "ashes of time" is much superior,as is anything by king hu suggest you check them out.
gratefultiger

Postby gimferrer » Sat Mar 01, 2003 5:14 pm

THE CLOSEt

WOMAN ON A VERGER OF A BREAKDOWN (almodovar)

TAXI and TAXI 2

EL MARIACHI

CYRANO DE BERGERAC

MON ONCLE

JOUR DE FETE
gimferrer

Postby Gaz » Sat Mar 01, 2003 9:10 pm

Though bear in mind the Taxi films are not typical foreign fare...they're more US-influenced than other French films I could name.
Gaz

Postby Arletty » Sun Mar 02, 2003 11:42 pm

The Conformist's cinematography will offset any difficulties you may find with following the plot. The sets and costumes are breathtaking. The pace is a little slower than Amelie.

The Night of San Lorenzo or Night of the Shooting Stars is a serious bit of film making shot beautifully with some lovely performances.

Bohemian Life or Vie de Boheme by Kaurismaki is a delightful comedy shot in black and white.

The Passenger with Jack Nicholson is Antonioni's most accessible film and noteworthy for the magnificent architecture.

Le Grand Chemin is a piece of cake, with cream on top. Small film about the joys and sorrows of family life.

Arletty

Postby szindbad » Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:27 am

Czech films from the 60's are all very delightful and easy: Cerny Petr, Hori ma panenko etc.
szindbad

Postby pre-tender » Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:11 am

i m also a beginner for foreignfilms and i m sure when u dive deep enough into those films iu will find more than u can find in most of USA-made films ( i m not an anti-american but we can not deny that most of american film killed the sipirit of real cinema)...
but you should start to "digest" foreing masterpieces slowly in order to comprehend them completely: and that is why u should kick-off with "light" and contemprary exapmles of foreignfilms:
For example:
Delicattesen ( if u liked Amelie u will most probably like this too )
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon ( while u r not so away form super productions and exciting theathreal experiences this masterpiece of action flick will be good for u: later see Seven Samurai)
Leon ( a Hollwod-like director Luc Besson's good film to see)...
i m now trying to digest these movies before i jump into "dated" but still popular foreing flicks... :)
pre-tender

Postby lena03 » Mon Mar 24, 2003 8:29 pm

hey, i just had to add two films w/ kids as main characters:
Kolya (Czech) & Ponette (French).
lena03

Postby Arletty » Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:26 pm

Eat Drink, Man Woman is highly accessible and if you liked Babette's Feast, may appeal to you. It's usually mentioned in the same breath as BF because of the high proportion of food shots. The Wedding Banquet is another little pearl, directed by Ang Lee.
Arletty

Previous

Return to Film Talk