Cinema Paradiso

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Cinema Paradiso

Postby Anali » Thu Jul 06, 2000 9:22 am

What happens in the original Italian version of Cinema Paradiso that's not in the US/international release version?
Anali

Re: Cinema Paradiso

Postby cinemasmooch » Sun Jul 16, 2000 3:00 pm

I didn't know there was a different Italian version and would also like to know how it compares with the US release. It's one of my all-time favorite foreignfilms. I got the same kind of feeling from it that I did from Like Water For Chocolate. It also makes me think of my Grandpa, who was born in Italy.
cinemasmooch

Postby Anali » Mon Jul 17, 2000 6:29 am

I think there was a huge portion that was cut out, wherein the adult Toto finds out that his sweetheart's no-show was Alfredo's doing. I think he also meets the girl when he goes back to the town. Has anyone here seen it and can verify this for me?
Anali

Postby Nikko » Sun Jul 30, 2000 5:07 am

There is about 30 mins extra in the Italian version, which I've watched, but as I don't speak Italian all was not clear.
Toto does meet with sweetheart; they still love one another, but she is married (I think to the guy who got belted by the teacher for not knowing 5x5) and Toto moves on... there was something to do with Alfredo's actions impacting on the romance, but that was mainly as dialogue so I didn't get it. I'll ask the guy at the Italian video shop if he knows the story (he had a cinema for 25 years)
Nikko

Postby cinéphile » Wed Aug 02, 2000 4:49 pm

I am also desperately in need of the Cinema Paradiso Director's Cut. Cinema Paradiso has been my favorite movie since the first time I saw it, and I cry every time I see it. Incidentally, does anybody have an address for Giuseppe Tornatore; maybe someone could convince him to re-release the Director's Cut, but WITH English sub-titles.
cinéphile

Postby cinéphile » Fri Aug 04, 2000 4:22 pm

YES YES YES!!!!! I Found IT! Go to http://www.blackstar.co.uk/video/item/7000000036814
You can order the 167 minute CINEMA PARADISO version for 16 pounds!!!! I can't believe it, I will finally be able to watch it!
cinéphile

Postby jman » Fri Aug 04, 2000 7:43 pm

Do you have a PAL video player?
jman

Postby cinéphile » Sun Aug 06, 2000 4:27 pm

Yes, I DO!
cinéphile

Postby cinemasmooch » Mon Aug 07, 2000 4:23 pm

I emailed Blackstar asking them if the long version is available with English subtitles and they said, "yes". Hopefully, the video rental stores will also carry it.
cinemasmooch

Postby Nikko » Thu Aug 24, 2000 12:17 am

RE: Film clips shown in Cinema Paradiso.
Does anyone know the name of the movie that was show as the first feature when Chicci's New Cinema Paradiso opened.
I think the actress was Silvana Mangano, she was singing a samba/rumba type song, and in the next cut, same movie,the actor Vittorio Gassman, kisses her on the back as she lies on a bed.
Nikko

Next

Return to Film Talk