FOREIGN FILM OSCAR NOMINATIONS ANNOUNCED

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

FOREIGN FILM OSCAR NOMINATIONS ANNOUNCED

Postby Gaz » Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:22 pm

This year's foreign language film Oscar nominees are Mexico's "El Crimen Del Padre Amaro", China's "Hero", Finland's "The Man Without a Past", Germany's "Nowhere in Africa", and the Dutch film "Zus & Zo".

Votes please! For me it has to be Aki Kaurismäki's wonderful The Man Without a Past.

Perhaps a surprise to see City of God not among the nominations. What do you think?
Gaz

Re: FOREIGN FILM OSCAR NOMINATIONS ANNOUNCED

Postby axo8744 » Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:33 pm

I want to know why MEXICO AND SPAIN did not submit the best film they had to offer, Y TU MAMA TAMBIEN and HABLE CON ELLA, Both wonderful movies and would have being in the running for best foreign film. dam u mexico and espana!
axo8744

Postby eldalieva » Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:55 pm

i cany belive it either, if mexicos only had submitted y tu mama tambien would make it the winner and i would be very happy. i dont have the sma opinion with talk to her because im mexican and i hate almodovar
eldalieva

Postby Gaz » Wed Feb 12, 2003 10:28 pm

I think I heard they weren't submitted for political reasons, though why specifically I can't remember.
Gaz

Postby bmxsuperhero » Thu Feb 13, 2003 7:29 am

I was under the impression that Y Tu Mamá También was not eligible for this upcoming Academy Awards, considering that it was released in 2001 outside the U.S. and was up for last year's Golden Globe for Best Foreign-Language film. However, I guess I was wrong, considering it was nominated for best original screenplay this year. What are the criteria for these nominations? I hear the foreign film criteria is very strict, seeing as how the Academy would not allow Sweden to use Lilja 4-Ever as their selection because a majority of the dialogue was in Russian. The only foreign-language performance that I heard "Oscar buzz" over was Isabelle Huppert in La Pianiste, but that too was released in 2001 outside the States. By the way, does anyone know which film France chose as its selection. I assume 8 Femmes, but have no proof.
bmxsuperhero

Postby Gaz » Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:09 pm

Ozon's 8 Femmes was the French nomination but failed to make the final five.
Gaz

Postby k0dama » Thu Feb 13, 2003 11:49 pm

This link gives the very specific eligibity stipulations for foreign film Academy entries:
http://www.oscars.org/75academyawards/rules/rule14.html

8 Women (8 Femmes) - Francois Ozon - SHOULD have been one of the nominees, but I haven't seen any of the other contending films, so I guess it's difficult for me to say without full knowledge.
According the the web site below France's submission to the 75th Academy awards (here's the link):
http://www.filmfestivals.com/cgi-bin/fest_content/festivals.pl?debug=&channelbar=&lang=en&year=2003&fest=oscars2003&page=selections&partner=&text_id=23504
k0dama

Postby bmxsuperhero » Fri Feb 14, 2003 6:43 am

I personally thought 8 Femmes was far superior to El Crimen del Padre Amaro.
bmxsuperhero

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:46 am

At least the Academy gave Almodovar two noms: for Best Director and Best Screenplay. There's such an overwhelming support and acclaim for him in Hollywood that I think they gave him the noms just to make up for the Spain Film Association being morons. "Talk to Her" and "...Tambien" were both on MANY top ten lists curiously enough.

I thought "El Crimen del Padre Amaro" was a very routine melodrama that had something to say, but got bogged down in the end from rote sentimentality and laziness. If "Man without a Past" doesen't win, someone owes me an explanation.
bigpoppa_2059

Postby eldalieva » Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:51 pm

"The picture need not have been released in the United States." maybe thats why they didnt took "y tu mama " and "talk to her"
eldalieva

Next

Return to Film Talk