Cinema Paradiso

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Cinema Paradiso

Postby cinemasmooch » Fri Aug 25, 2000 9:49 pm

I'd like to find out what movies all the kissing scene clips came from. Anyone know black and white films well?
cinemasmooch

Postby Nikko » Wed Oct 25, 2000 1:02 am

Hi Anali, I have just read the script parts that were left out of the mainstream release. Toto does see Elena, who is now married to Boccia. Elena tells Salvatore that due to a family fight, about him, she was late for their last meeting before her planned departure, and when she couldn't find him, she told Alfredo that she loved Salvatore and intended to run away with him. Alfredo told her to forget him. She said she would take his advice, but crept back up to the projection booth and left Salvatore a note telling him where he could find her, and that she would wait for him. Salvatore never saw the note and thought that Elena never showed up. The rest is history.
Nikko

Postby Nikko » Tue Nov 07, 2000 1:59 am

RE: Kissing clips in Cinema Paradiso. Answering my own question and the Kisses one partly:- The movie at the opening of the rebuilt cinema was called "Anna", and Sylvana Mangano and Vittoria Gassman's kiss was the first one that was not censored by the padre. I'm not sure if it was in the final edit that Alfredo left Salvatore, but it should have been.
Nikko

Postby marymccluer » Tue Dec 19, 2000 3:47 am

i think part of the charm of this film is that the minor characters are so well developed. we see them in brief sketches which are further developed throughout the film. this gives us a sense of community and of even knowing the people. when tito returns to his home town for the funeral, we feel as though it is our own homecoming. the sleek use of minor characters i thinks is part of the genius of this film.
marymccluer

Postby ab_ashley » Thu Jan 04, 2001 9:59 pm

I had a copy of the Director's cut which I must say is an inferior version of the film. It's is 56 minutes longer. And it changes the entire picture. I wish I had not seen it. Toto meeting Elena as adults serves no purpose other than reveiling that Alfredo is ultimately responsible for Toto and Elena's unfulfilled love.
This in turn tarnishes the audience's percieved relationship between Alfredo and Toto. At the end of the film I found myself angry that Alfredo didn't give Toto the message from Elena.
ab_ashley

Postby taldo » Mon Sep 10, 2001 9:42 pm

Hi,Neil Sullivan,You mentioned {The guy in the Italian movie
store}Would he by chance have any Italian films made
in the 1940's.Could you send me is Email address.
Thank You........Taldo,, at,,taldo@earthlink.net,,,,in,Calif.
taldo

Previous

Return to Film Talk