Zhang Yimou's "Hero"

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Zhang Yimou's "Hero"

Postby eman » Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:12 pm

Run and scour your Asian DVD sources for the VCD of Zhang Yimou's "Hero." The movie is breathtaking! If you want to know more about the movie, check out this article from the Asian edition of Time Magazine: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/click/movie-10001021/reviews.php?critic=all&sortby=default&page=2&rid=825994

The Asian DVD import will be out this summer, and the movie will be released theatrically in the US in November. The 2-disc VCD surprisingly has crisp video and good sound quality, and should satisfy viewers until the DVD is released.

Re: Zhang Yimou's "Hero"

Postby kmcalma » Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:52 pm

Will the import have english subtitles? This is my most anticipated movie of the year.

Postby darkbluex » Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:52 am

You can get it on DVD or VCD here
just make sure if you get anything other than "NTSC" make sure you have a region-free DVD player, the VCD will play on your PC though.

Postby jessiemark1 » Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:20 am

I don't like Zhang Yimou's Hero,though it has a lot of stars in it.

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:47 am

Thanks! I am def. gonna get that VCD. The film opens here in Denver later this year, but I can't wait that long. I haven't anticipated a film this much since I read 2 years ago about the new Godard film coming out. Chris Doyle is a God...

Postby young707 » Sat May 03, 2003 4:40 pm

Well, I bought a this Hero DVD here in San Francisco. I am disappointed with all that money and talent in this film. I want to sell it.

Postby mouse » Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:06 pm

Do Yimou and Gong Li ever work together anymore? I haven't seen Hero so I don't know if she's in it!...

Postby eman » Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:49 pm

The female lead in Hero is Maggie Cheung. Ziyi Zhang of "Crouching Tiger" fame plays a supporting role.

Postby renren8662 » Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:18 am

"HERO" is such a star-studded movie with Maggie Cheung and Tonly Leung working again with Zhang Yimou, and Zhang Ziyi working with one of the HEROIC TRIO (after Michelle Yeoh) Maggie Cheung. Can't wait for ZHang Yimou's next movie which stars Zhang Ziyi and Anita Mui with Takeshi Kaneshiro.

Postby ksparent » Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:21 am

I think Zhang Yimou's early work with Gong Li ranks among the best movies I have ever seen in my life, and I thought he made a modest comeback with The Road Home, Not One Less and, to a lesser degree, Happy Times.

I got the R3 (Korean) Hero DVD. I'm going to come right out and say this. I totally, totally, totally do NOT get this movie. It makes absolutely no sense to me. Why are these people flying with no explanation? Why do they walk on water?

I asked these same questions on another board, and the replies I got were, "It's just part of the genre," which, in other words, says to me that they aren't supposed to make any sense. If that's the case, the director succeeded. The movie makes no sense to me. This movie read more like a thinly-disguised documentary on computer graphics.

I don't mean to bash the film. I really want to understand it.

Return to Film Talk