Good Movies

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Good Movies

Postby csicmga » Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:50 am

I love watching all types of movies ,mostly romantic movies are the one which i enjoy the most ,but i get disturbed if the couples dont meet in the ending ,i like leonardo ,tom cruise ...
tell me few names of romantic movies ,which i cud really enjoy......

Re: Good Movies

Postby tastlikeburning » Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:27 pm

If you like romantic movies you have to see Amelie. It's magical.

Postby jpmccusa » Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:48 pm

Try "Friends" (1971) with Sean Bury. This has NOTHING to do with the tv series of the same name...

Postby gratefultiger » Sun Mar 30, 2003 10:39 pm

any of the bitter sweet doulas sirk films from the 50's
all that heaven allows,imitation of life etc,
vigo's "latalante",murnaus "sunrise",dw griffiths "broken blossoms",fasbinders "fear eats the soul" all bittersweet in tone all great films...cheers

Postby tj_lamant » Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:37 am

This is the reply message to csicmga:

i know of one French production romantic film which you may enjoy just as i do. The movie is in English but a French, UK production.

The movie is "The Lover" (L'Amant in French). Hv u heard of it. It is a story of a French girl's romantic passion for a Chinese man in the late 1920s.

Also see my site for more details:

Join in the group as Membership is FREE. i m already a member.

Believe me, you will not regret this movie as you can buy it in a store near you or from the internet.

Regards: MM1991

Postby Gaz » Mon Mar 31, 2003 4:38 pm

gratefultiger's right as usual. Douglas Sirk is an especially good recommendation, especially Imitation of Life. Also Fassbinder's Fear Eats The Soul, a remake of Sirk's All That Heaven Allows.

But if you want something with a happy ending, try Bill Forsyth's Gregory's Girl - very romantic at heart and it has great charm.

Postby john-5 » Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:58 pm

No list of romantic films is complete without Eric Rohmer (The Green Ray, My Girlfriend's Boyfriend..)- fresh, young , spontaneous and summery-, and Max Ophuls (Letter from an Unknown Woman, Liebelei)- exquisite Viennese period confections.

i'll second; Sunrise (wonderful), L'Atalante, In the Mood for Love.

Also; Lovers of the Arctic Circle (terribly touching), Ai no Corrida (love as sado-masochistic sex), Show me Love (teenage lesbian love).

The most romantic moment in cinema is the end of The Green Ray.

Postby groom_daniel » Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:51 am

I agree with john-5 about Rohmer. Don't forget my favourite Rohmer film, An Autumn Tale. Claude Sautet's Nelly and Monsieur Arnaud is one of the most beautiful films I've seen. I was also moved by the love stories in Wong Kar Wai's Ashes of Time, and Beat Takeshi Kitano's Hana-bi.

Postby groom_daniel » Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:56 am

I forgot two of my favourite films -- Tampopo and Eat Drink Man Woman.

Postby HenryGinsberg » Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:04 am

Ok, no one has yet mentioned Truffaut (either that or I just didn't read the previous posts clearly).

Try, Jules et Jim - Truffaut's best film and one of the finest romantic films ecer made.

Stollen Kisses/Bed and Board - It's not necissary for you to have seen The 400 Blows in order to enjoy these films.

The Last Metro - Less enteresting than the others but equaly enjoyable...well maybe.

Return to Film Talk