If there's one thing I can't stand....

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

If there's one thing I can't stand....

Postby HenryGinsberg » Sun Mar 23, 2003 3:13 pm

...it's when people say a film is crap just because they don't understand it. Seriously, check out some of the IMDB user comments for films like 2001, Citizen Kane and Breathless. You'd be amazed at the idiocy of some people. If I remember correctly, one user said of 2001, "I didn't fail to understand this film. It just makes no sense". I prefer this site to IMDB. The people on here display a far higher degree of intelegence.
HenryGinsberg

Re: If there's one thing I can't stand....

Postby szindbad » Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:20 am

On the other hand, many people praise for example Bergman's films, saying "It's grat" even they don't understand anything. Any critic would tell you: Tarkovsky's "The mirror" is fantastic...but they coudln't say what's it about. Is this normal?
szindbad

Postby Gaz » Tue Mar 25, 2003 12:41 pm

Can anyone say what Mirror is about? It doesn't have a linear plot structure.

I know that when I saw it I thought it was a masterpiece, but I couldn't tell you what it was about until I had seen it several more times. Isn't it maybe just a series of reminiscences and events?
Gaz

Postby HenryGinsberg » Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:51 pm

There's nothing wrong with failing to understand a film. I just don't like people who take the view of "I don't get it therefore it is crap".
HenryGinsberg

Postby Gaz » Wed Mar 26, 2003 9:47 pm

Point taken, but everyone has a right to their own opinion. Even if the accepted view is that Citizen Kane is not only a masterpiece (which it surely is) but also that it is the greatest film ever made (which I think it isn't), the view of any dissenter is just as valid as that of anyone else.
Gaz

Postby gratefultiger » Wed Mar 26, 2003 9:55 pm

mirror was about chidhood, memory,russia in the 20th century,family,(tarkovsky's)he wanted to show his parents that he loved them,a very personal film,and a masterpiece i don't think it is necessary to understand a film for that film to be a masterwork,but i think i understand mirror well
as it shfts from one era to another an appreciation of russian history helps which i have in spades,ah tarkovsky what a visionary!
gratefultiger

Postby pre-tender » Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:07 am

i think the answer for "why some great non-english masterpieces are underrrated" is because unlike Hollywood productions foreignfilms are hard to understand ( for sometimes i see some movies of unfamiliar cultures to me)and to evaulate,to criticise,to find( yes there are dvds of most of them but what about the rest?),mention about( cos i could find no body till i have found this site to talk about non-english movies)...
in order to get the full taste of foreignfilms you should have a profound culturel-historical-social background of that nation!
for example: Yol-1982 ( The Way) when i read critiques of some people who have seen it, i imeediately realize that almost nobody could understand it except a few who had a bit knowledge of that time of Turkey...
i think that is why ( beside the handicaps to find them ) some masterpieces films are underrated...!!!
Also i think "high-rated" movies have a handicap about dissaponting; because most of us choose films-to-see according to rating or awards but many times i realized that expecting so much from a film will dissapoint me and that is why i curse on them :).
For example: All About My Mother, i expected so much but could find nothing :) yep i m sure most of you loved it but i did not ! like this example there are so many films that i dont even understand what it tells!!!
That does not mean "foolish-stupidity" but it means that evey one has his opwn taste of art; films...That is why i think it is nonsense to talk about top-list-critics-preferances...etc.
pre-tender

Postby kmcalma » Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:06 pm

Totally agree on All About my Mother...I thought it was really going to be good but instead turned into an exercise in depravity.
kmcalma

Return to Film Talk