Could you recommend any good film about suicide?

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Could you recommend any good film about suicide?

Postby szindbad » Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:09 am

Hello. Do you know any good film touching upon the problem of suicide? Recently I've seen a beaufiful movie "Ratcatcher", directed by the British debutant, Lynne Ramsay. It's about a teenage boy who slowly loses illusions and ability to live. I also like other "suicidal" films: Philippe Garrel's "The wind of the night" (although it's rather cold than moving) and Bergman's "Face to face". Wondering why suicide has always been taboo in film (Bresson's "Mouchette" was even banned in some countries), I ask you for good recommendation.
szindbad

Re: Could you recommend any good film about suicide?

Postby Gaz » Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:04 am

If you can get a copy of it, Malle considered his film Le Feu Follet one of his best works. It's undoubtedly one of the key films about suicide, though I must say that I haven't made it to the end yet, despite repeated attempts to sit through it - I find it too depressing. I couldn't agree more about Ratcatcher though - a wonderful film.
Gaz

Postby Gaz » Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:11 am

Come to think of it, it's probably the slow pace of Le Feu Follet that puts me off - depression doesn't.
Gaz

Postby somegreatmovies » Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:06 pm

"Taste of Cherry," of course.
somegreatmovies

Postby jpmccusa » Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:22 pm

Try "Jeune Werther"---I reviewed it for this site, so you can check out what I said about it right now...

One I'd LIKE to see but can't find a copy of is "Falling Away from Me". If anyone has a copy they'd consider swapping for something, please let me know...
jpmccusa

Postby wanderingstar » Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:55 pm

"Frozen" is an interesting, provocative film... however, I don't know if I would describe it as especially "good."
wanderingstar

Postby gratefultiger » Sun Apr 13, 2003 10:23 pm

Robert Bresson's brilliant "Mouchette" is as good as any.
gratefultiger

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Mon Apr 14, 2003 6:44 pm

Another Bresson film, A Gentle Woman (Un Femme Douce) is about a girl who commits suicide and the film is an exploration of her relationship with a man and why she did what she did. Not on of Bresson's best films, and not only about suicide, but it does explore the human heart and suicide in a thoughtful way.
bigpoppa_2059

Postby bjornam » Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:53 pm

"Winter Light" by Bergman.
bjornam

Postby john-5 » Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:38 pm

The film that was just on my mind; The Loyal 47 Ronin (2 parts) by Mizoguchi. A Japanese Lord has to commit ritual suicide after attacking another who had insulted him. 47 of his Samurai followers vow revenge, that leads to their own collective deaths.

Here's what Darrell Davis' book, Picturing Japaneseness (which i've just been re-reading) has to say;

"the classic example of monumental style..., a masterpiece because it transcends drama,..a feast..that requires some fasting from the satiation of narrative appetite,...the fullest elaboration imaginable of the dream of pure Japaneseness".

It is very (too?)long, slow, episodic, lacking in dramatic action (this is NOT your typical Samurai action film), majestic. Most of the significant events occur off-screen. For some, it will seem ponderous. For me, the 3 hrs 40 minutes whizzed by. As well as concentrating on Bushido (way of the Samurai) it's also an epic exploration of space. The camerawork, compositions and lighting are elegant, magnificent, and- for anyone who pays due care and attention- awe-inspiring. The crane shot that begins Part 2 had me gasping. The moment when Lord Asano goes to his death involves another of the greatest single demonstrations of camerawork and composition in cinema history. Neither example makes itself obvious; Mizoguchi was far too great and subtle a director to need to show off his expertise.

To think this is far from Mizoguchi's greatest masterpiece! The more accessible and involving Sansho the Bailiff is merely the peak of world cinema.
john-5

Next

Return to Film Talk