Steven Spielberg

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Steven Spielberg

Postby HenryGinsberg » Tue Apr 08, 2003 3:22 pm

I dislike the amount of crytasism given to Spielberg. It is true that as a producer he is responsible for a vast amount of crap reaching the screen. However, he is primarily known as a great director. He is undoubtably one of the greatest American directors of his generation. Although many of his films are examples of Hollywood film making, he is also capable of highly origional cinema (Saving Private Ryan practicaly re-invented the rule book on war films).
I think that Spielberg is one of the few directors to sustain a high level of quality in his films, and is (open to controversy) a director to rank alongside Truffaut, Leone and Kurosawa.
HenryGinsberg

Re: Steven Spielberg

Postby gratefultiger » Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:44 pm

the problem i have with spielberg is always seems too conservative,middle of the road,a populist director for the masses & boxoffice ,private ryan starts off brilliantly the goes into an episode of "COMBAT" which is ok,but not as good as the thin red line, greater characterisation poetry and insight into the feeling of war,also that flag waving at the end get's a bit hard to take!
yes he is a good director but i wish he would really take risks.i guess u could say i'm not a fan

my advice see some foreign war films ...pronto
gratefultiger

Postby HenryGinsberg » Fri Apr 11, 2003 12:38 pm

I agree that Private Ryan is a bit too patriotic. However, I still think it is one of the best war films...well, certainly in the history of American cinema, and maybe of all time. Although, The Thin Red Line was a fine film, and did put more of an emphisis on characters, I think Private Ryan is equal to it in emotional depth, raising moral and philosofical issues against the brutality of war.

I would agree that Spielberg needs to take more risks. With Schindler's List he proved that he was capable of shocking us. I just wish he would do it more often. He seems to have a great deal of sentiment when it comes to Hollywood film making.
HenryGinsberg

Postby bootsie32000 » Wed May 28, 2003 4:02 pm

Spielberg is technically excellent, but intellectually he's an infant.

Saving Private Ryan:

He has a Jewish American soldier aware of the Hollocaust. No one is aware of what's going on in Germany at this point. This secrecy was the crux of Nazi evil. If anyone knew, it would definitely not be some American working class kid.

The "horrible mess" of WWII that every character refers to routinely throughout the film. We were fighting the Nazi's, if there is any war that deserved a sense of honor, it's this one

His stories always bring up very serious moral issues, like "Catch Me If You Can" which he completely ignores. Is it okay for a con artist to then become an expert at making sure other con artists do time? You don't have to propose any answer, but can you at least acknowledge an issue?

Very childish.
bootsie32000

Postby Ria » Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:59 pm

I [i]passionate[/i] hate Speilberg. I wish he never did another film. He has done 1 or 2 good films like Schindler's List. Unfortunately he is responsible for so much rubbish that I wish he would never ever make another film.

Too many kids in his flicks too.

Also, why do they have to end so sugary happy?

Saving Private Ryan was good for the first 30 min then it was just over-patriotic rubbish.

Someone prove me wrong. Name one masterpiece that he’s done.
Ria

Postby Gaz » Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:12 pm

I wouldn't have thought too many kids in Spielberg's films would be a criticism. I've never understood the passionate hatred of child actors which some people seem to feel.
Gaz

Postby Ria » Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:29 pm

Because kids, to 99%, can't act, are unnecessary for the story and in Speilberg's case added for cuteness - hoping to add some more viewers.
Ria

Postby smurfrevolt » Sun Sep 21, 2003 3:34 am

He's perfected the formula of making hits, sacrificing something else--maybe depth, or the soul that goes in an honest to goodness film which isn't a "hit" like the films Spielberg makes. I don't know what to call these films, as opposed to the drivel that comes from Spielberg...but you know what I mean.
smurfrevolt

Postby Gaz » Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:00 am

Most children, it may be true, can't act. However, less than 1% of the child population acts in films. Most child actors are exceptional beings, then they go off the rails as adults.

As for children being unnecessary for the story, I can think of very few more inaccurate statements. Here are a very small number of films in which children are vital to the plot and, furthermore, in which the acting is exemplary.

Au Revoir les Enfants (1987)
Fanny and Alexander (1982)
Le Souffle au Coeur(1971)
Les 400 Coups (1959)
Zero de Conduite (1933)
Ivan's Childhood (1962)
Europa Europa (1991)
Lord of the Flies (1963)
My Life as a Dog (1985)
Ratcatcher (1999)
The Go-Between (1970)
The War Zone (1999)
Gaz

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Sun Sep 28, 2003 7:00 am

Minority Report was a very original, inventive and entertaining film (though most of that goes to the great Scott Frank screenplay). I have no problem with him. He is a natural storyteller a born entertainer.
bigpoppa_2059

Next

Return to Film Talk