What makes a film a foreign film?

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

What makes a film a foreign film?

Postby keehana » Sat Apr 12, 2003 1:46 am

Upon discussion, i have realised that the definition of a foreign film varies between pple (language, content, location). what are the determinants which actually makes a film a foreign film. Would it be the location it was shot, the director, the picture house resp. for the movie?

Some say as long as it not an American movie, it would then be classified as a foreign film. What if the director of the film if American movie is not an American or perhaps the book at which the movie is adapted from not written by an american writer. Would under those circumstances be fair to say that the movie/ film is an American production?

Re: What makes a film a foreign film?

Postby HenryGinsberg » Sat Apr 12, 2003 10:43 am

I think of films made outside America and Britan, by foreign directors as foreign films. I don't think it really matters what language the film is in.

Postby young707 » Sat May 03, 2003 4:50 pm

how about the original sound track language? and subtitles? however, DVD disc with multiple soundtracks and subtitles, makes it more fuzzy.

Postby tumadretumadre » Mon May 05, 2003 4:02 am

the film/TV series was produced outside of the U.S., or is in a language other than English.
the film/TV series has been distributed (in theaters, on video, or on TV) in at least one country.
the film is NOT a big-budget Hollywood release. For example, despite its connection to New Zealand, do not add 'Lord of the Rings'.

Return to Film Talk