Le Fils

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Le Fils

Postby Gaz » Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:49 pm

I've just seen Le Fils by Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne, and was impressed. Not a great film maybe, but a very good one.

The small scale of the film, leading to claustrophobia and suspense, reminded me somewhat of Chabrol - the film is worthy of the master (not to mention quite similar in plot terms to Que la Bête Meure). An excellent, well-acted psychological study of the after-effects of murder on an individual.

I'd be interested in the reactions of anyone else who's seen it.

Re: Le Fils

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:40 am

I disagree just a bit. I thought this film was a real masterpiece. I saw it twice in a row just to make sure I wasn't crazy and couldn't tell how I felt about it immediately. I haven't reacted that strongly to a film in a long time (the last was Godard's latest pic). Definitely a must-see.

Postby manicmo » Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:05 pm

What I liked in this film aside from the story was the camera always just a few inches too close, usually following the backs up until the climax

Postby Gaz » Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:00 pm

The more I think about it, the more I think it might be a masterpiece after all. Perhaps a return visit is in order.

Postby shaisse » Sat May 24, 2003 7:22 am

great film, not for everybody... i even liked it more than rosetta... the story is so real, great subjective shots and dialogues... but most of all superb acting by olivier gourmet!

thanks, dardenne's brothers!

Return to Film Talk