Films to see second time...!

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Films to see second time...!

Postby pre-tender » Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:36 pm

i want to learn those film which need to bee seen 2 or multiple times to figure out its excellency. i mean when u see first see it u could not understand but at the second time u get what they call it masterpiece...
pre-tender

Re: Films to see second time...!

Postby Gaz » Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:03 pm

I think Tarkovsky's films reveal new things with each viewing. Bergman's likewise. Of course there are many films which bear repeated viewing, but the films of these two directors strike me as the most likely to keep on giving new insights.
Gaz

Postby gratefultiger » Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:01 pm

i always make a point of seeing most (but not all) films at least twice as mood comes into the appraisal at times.as for my favourites i can watch them again & again and i do.
the great directors demand multiple viewings tarkovsky a definite case in point as he requires a lot from the viewerlet alone himself.
which is how i like it.
gratefultiger

Postby Ria » Sat Sep 20, 2003 5:29 pm

I watch all films I love again and again and again.

However as for films to watch a 2nd time to get more details or to figure it out at all – [b]Donnie Darko[/b]. A superb film.
Ria

Postby smurfrevolt » Sun Sep 21, 2003 3:45 am

I would see something like Requiem for a Dream more than two times, first for the disturbing story, then the cinematography and the techniques...there's always something new that I see in this film every time I watch it.

I watch David Lynch's movies twice, esp. that new one, Mulholland Drive. Until now, I'm not sure, if it's a masterpiece, or Lynch is fucking with my mind or both...

I always watch Wong Kar-wai's films twice, more than twice. Like Requiem, there's a wealth of film school tips and techniques, in every shot/sequence, the composition, angles, the editing--everything. Plus, his characters are so complex, you need more than one viewing to figure them out.
smurfrevolt

Postby christopherbaggins » Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:37 am

I watch almost every director driven project twice regardless of country of origin. If the film is actor driven or mainstream hollywood it usually doesn't have the depth to watch over for details you missed. However, any good director is worth studying both the technical aspects and the moods he or she develops during the movie. My favorites are Lynch, Waters, Kurosawa, Wes Anderson, PT Anderson, Kubrick, Cassavetes, Almaldovar, Herzog just to name a few.
christopherbaggins

Postby auteur » Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:05 pm

Films that feature "fractured" chronology, with frequent flasbacks and flashforwards, elliptical plots, etc. often benefit from a second viewing. This applies to the above-mentioned [i]Mulholland Drive[/i] and some Kar Wai. Also, films with meanings and themes that are open to interpretation (like Tark's, maybe Antonioni). I also find that anglophone audiences fail to appreciate fully the films directed by Jean Renoir, in which the precise timing and nuance of dialogue and gesture are lost to the subtitle-reader. This is true even when the translations are accurate, which is not always the case. Once you are familiar with the text and basic narrative, watch again to enjoy the rich characterisations and impeccable ensemble acting.
auteur

Postby gratefultiger » Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:32 am

People who can't appreciate the genius of Jean Renoir are really missing out,his films are timeless.the unsentimental
humanity,technique,camerawork,mis en scene,characterisation
narrative.He just made it all look so easy,i don't pay too much attention to so called film buffs who don't rate him.
to me it is all so obvious,his influence is still shining out there!
gratefultiger

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:51 am

Good call gratefultiger. Renoir has the most diverse and beautiful mix of films of any director I can think of. Never made a bad film IMO. Some worked and some did not but they are all interesting and beautiful. If Orson Welles thought he was the best director, that's good enough for me!
bigpoppa_2059

Postby gratefultiger » Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:37 pm

Welles was right on the money !
gratefultiger

Next

Return to Film Talk