Films to see second time...!

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Films to see second time...!

Postby mdipres » Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:59 pm

Recursive movies like 8 1/2 and Adaptation are the most obvious examples.

Postby pete231176 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:12 pm

I reckon Los Amantes del Circulo Polar by Julio Medem is a two or more seer. I'm a teacher, and show it to my A level sets, and the more I've seen it, the better it gets. It all fits together when you watch it again. Pedro

Postby stof_ » Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:45 pm

some films you have to watch twice, usually because the ending changes the perspective so much that you have to see the film over again to understand it from that new perspective. A great film for that would be the Cabinet of Dr. Caligary
Other films are so rich with so many layers that you must watch them multiple times to fully understand and appreciate them. Well Tartovsky's films are definately like this, I recomend Egoyan's Exotica. The film becomes more beautiful with every viewing. I think I've watched it seven times so far, and I will be watching it again soon.

Postby wpqx1 » Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:41 pm

There are numerous films that went way over my head the first time, but I thought were brilliant on another viewing. Bridge on the River Kwai was one, and also La Dolce Vita and Children of Paradise. Unfortunately there is the film that you may see twice that still is overrated. Now call me crazy but maybe I need three viewings to appreciate Vertigo, which I think is the second lowest Hitchcock film (excuse me but The Lady Vanishes is the lowest). Rules of the Game remained overrated on a second viewing. Once it is released on DVD next January I will probably try it for the third time. It is close to a masterpiece, but I still prefer Grand Illusion and Boudu Saved From Drowning.

Postby auteur » Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:15 am

Both [i]Vertigo[/i] and [i]The Rules of the Game[/i] impressed me the first time, but each subsequent viewing has enriched my appreciation and understanding of them. The nuanced verbosity of Rules makes it a bit of a challenge for those of us who need to read the subtitles. Appreciation of the performances invariably suffers. I'm buying this one, not renting it.

Cronenberg's SPIDER is the film I saw this year that benefits the most from a second viewing. It now joins my other favorite films of the year: [i]Russian Ark, Le Fils, Magdalene Sisters, Hero[/i], and [i]Mondays in the Sun[/i].

Postby gratefultiger » Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:07 am

I must say most of my films i view again & again the above message is right on some film just draw u in (and lovin' it)

Postby ustink » Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:59 pm

I know this isn't the coolest reply but what the heck: I really love
"To Sir with Love". Sydney Poitier is fantastic.

Postby saratw2 » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:01 pm

I watched the Criterian DVD of Kurosawa's "Ran" over and over. There are two commentaries and both are wonderful. But the film itself is superb, full of depth, and beautiful.

Return to Film Talk