The ending of Celine & Julie Go Boating

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

The ending of Celine & Julie Go Boating

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Tue May 20, 2003 4:51 pm

Has anyone seen this movie? So original and creative. Rivette is still the greatest. But can someome whose seen it explain the ending for me? After Celine & Julie run in the house and resucue the girl, they all eat the candy and end up back in the apartment. Then they all go boating, and then Julie is seen waking up and sees Celine running dropping her items along the way like the beginning. So was the whole movie her dream or was it that the mansion-melodrama was real and the candies brought them to the "real world". Sounds confusing but anyone who's seen the movie should know what I'm talking about.
bigpoppa_2059

Re: The ending of Celine & Julie Go Boating

Postby gratefultiger » Wed May 21, 2003 10:45 pm

it's got to do with what was in that candy, psychadelics i'd suggest,from memories of my youth the film was "a long strange trip" as was my youth! :)
gratefultiger

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Fri May 23, 2003 4:08 am

Well I understand just fine about the candies and what they achieve, but the ending confuses me. Obviously not all films are meant to be completely understood (maybe Rivette inteded it this way) but I would like some insight into what the hell it all means.
bigpoppa_2059

Postby john-5 » Thu May 29, 2003 6:18 pm

Well, it has distinct similarities with Alice in Wonderland- both the beginning and ending. The meanings are up to you (as in Mulholland Drive, which also reminded me a little of Celine and Julie), but there's certainly an implication it was a dream. Anyway, it's wonderful.
john-5

Return to Film Talk