Foreign Films For Highschoolers

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Foreign Films For Highschoolers

Postby EddieSchmit » Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:00 pm

Does anyone know of a good movie that would keep the interest of high schoolers and also be appropriate at the same time? I am thinking Ringu and Amelie.
EddieSchmit

Re: Foreign Films For Highschoolers

Postby dixie » Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:02 pm

Delicatessan by Jean-Pierre Jeunet; Run Lola Run by Tom Tykwer; Black Mask by Daniel Lee
dixie

Postby gratefultiger » Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:08 pm

Amores Perros,Ashes of Time,Hana-Bi,Sonatine,The Killer,
Hard Boiled,Shadows of our Forgotten Ancestors,Mirror,Show me Love,Aguirre Wrath of god .hope this helps..cheers
gratefultiger

Postby auteur » Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:57 am

Ozu's GOOD MORNING is entertaining, easy to follow , in gorgeous tecnicolor and easily available for rental. This comes in a flawless transfer from Criterion. The protagonists are two boys who are brothers.
auteur

Postby auteur » Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:10 am

I love the films recommended by gratefultiger but several including AMORES PERROS are way inappropriate for teenagers. SHADOWS and MIRROR are way to contemplative and philosophical to sustain their interest. Others like SONATINE are too violent. ASHES OF TIME is one of my favorite films of the 90s but teenagers may be frustrated by its lack of narrative coherence.
auteur

Postby pchuman » Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:19 am

I am a high school student her is my top ten:

Amelie (2001)
Hana-bi (1997)
The Bicycle Thief (1948)
Battle Royale (2000)
The Road Home (2001)
Fanny and Alexander (1982)
Hard Boiled (1991)
Seven Samurai (1954)
Aguirre, Wrath of God (1972)
The Seventh Seal

Not that all of these are good for all high schoolers some like Fanny & Alekander would be to slow for mos teenagers.
pchuman

Postby gratefultiger » Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:05 am

Dear autuer ,haven't u got kid's? maybe you are underestimating their intelligence,too violent u say,what about too artistic,the aussie kids love that stuff man!
much superior to a lot of hollywood crap,surely yankee kids aren't wimps! i know my kids do ...cheers
gratefultiger

Postby Gaz » Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:40 am

I'm with gratefultiger here.

How about La Haine - the political side may or may not appeal, but it's relevant to teenagers the world over.
Gaz

Postby auteur » Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:35 pm

The point here is to be helpful to eddieschmit. He provided examples of films he considers entertaining and appropriate to high schoolers, who can be as young as 13. My teenage daughter Chelsea wouldn't find THE MIRROR entertaining and she is placed in gifted classes. Most parents I know would consider AMORES PERROS and several films mentioned above including LA HAINE inappropriate. AMELIE and RINGU are milder and definitely appropriate to high schoolers.
auteur

Postby gratefultiger » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:43 am

To each his own and let's leave it at that shall we!my darling loves a clockwork orange,but she'll come round,after all,as pete townshend once said "the kid's are alright"..cheers
gratefultiger

Next

Return to Film Talk