Recommendation

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Recommendation

Postby invalidgreen » Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:24 am

If you would be so kind as to post some recommendations for films for me. I am a young single mother of two and do not care to be indulged with excess sex. Some innuendo, hidden camera angles, etc are fine, but no full blown stuff please. Also, please be respectful of my viewing preferences...as I will be with yours.
invalidgreen

Re: Recommendation

Postby kcpuden1 » Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:40 pm

Here's a few, no sex, that I recall: Three Colors Trilogy by K. Kieslowski, To Live by Zhang Yimou, Blue by K. Kiwslowski, Tree of Wooden Clogs, Barking Dogs Never Bite by Bong Joon-ho, anything by A. Kurosawa, A time for Drunken Horses by B. Ghobadi, Apu Trilogy by S. Ray, Taste of Cherry by A. Kairostami, The Wind will carry us by A. Kairostami, The Pianist by Roman Polanski, L'Atalante by Jean Vigo, Wild Strawberries by Ingmar Bergman and The Day I became a Woman by M. Meshkini. Well, that's something to get you started with. If you need more, let me know. Also, if you see any of these and like them, then I can supply you with more movies along the lines of those you like. Enjoy.
kcpuden1

Postby kcpuden1 » Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:43 pm

Just to correct mistakes. Blue is part of the Three Colors Trilogy. Tree of Wooden Clogs is by Ermanno Olmi, since I mentioned Olmi, may as well add Two Women, note, Two Women has a rape in it, but its from the 40's or 50's so you don't see much.
kcpuden1

Postby groom_daniel » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:52 am

I would love to recommend some films, but I need to know what kinds of stories you like, as in genre, mood or tone. I don't want to recommend stories of unrequited love or doomed lovers, if you really want to see the hope and promise of love. Likewise I don't want to recommend a tragedy if you feel like a comedy. Also, if there are any foreign cultures you're interested in, that can be helpful.
groom_daniel

Postby invalidgreen » Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:28 pm

As far as genre, I'm not particular. As long as the story is decent. Some nations of interest for me are Spain, Mexico, Argentina, Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Russia, and Japan.
invalidgreen

Postby groom_daniel » Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:10 am

I recommend these films:

Late Spring, Yasujiro Ozu
Eat Drink Man Woman, Ang Lee
Autumn Tale, Eric Rohmer
To Live, Zhang Yimou
Pather Panchali, Satyajit Ray
Children of Paradise, Marcel Carne

And for you and your children, Miyazaki's animated feature, My Neighbour Totoro
groom_daniel